cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to identify the offline AP?

roiraymundo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I would like to ask for your help as I can't figure out what AP is down/offline.

Is there a way to identify the offline AP in Cisco 2500 wireless controller?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Godbless!

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Monitor > Statistics > AP Join.
Look under the Status column for "Not Joined" otherwise you'll need something like Cisco Prime Infrastructure (PI).

Hi Lee,

Thank you for the suggestion but I wasn't able to identify the offline AP
under AP join.

Should I install Cisco PI? What version of Cisco Prime Infrastructure? I'm
not yet familiar with this,

Thank you so much!

PI is actually a product you need to buy. It's a management solution for Wired and Wireless devices. It also provides various reporting and logging features. It also allows you to send notification, if for example, devices go offline.
If you use one, get the latest version.

you can install Prime for 60 days for free and manage upto 100 devices with evaluation license.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/presentation-c97-735996.pdf

Ambuj

-hope this helps-

Hi Ambuj,

Good day!

Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, i can't
download the prime because I don't have service contract.

Thank you!

Ideally you would have all the AP’s up and then take inventory.  PI works great but you can’t install it. The show AP join works until you clear or reboot the wlc. Better off with an inventory list and then possible get like a free tool that pings your aps or something. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We have a program that pings each ap and will alert if one goes offline. I agree that Cisco Prime Infrastructure is a great way as well.

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi Alex!

What program is that?

We currently use Solarwinds. It has the mapping capability similar to Cisco Prime. It is necessary to monitor every access point since the WLAN controller will not let you know if a wireless access point goes offline.

Please rate helpful posts.

I once wrote a script to monitor a similiar issue about knowing if all APs are up.
If you are using some SNMP Monitoring try to look into the following OID on the WLC:
1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.2.1.1 (bsnAPEntry)
http://www.oidview.com/mibs/14179/AIRESPACE-WIRELESS-MIB.html
We checked the APs currently connected to the WLC against a list of Inventory (e.g. Serialnumber or Ethernet MAC Address)
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card