Views
Helpful
Replies

How to see SSIDs and connected users on lightweight APs

kevin_miller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

At the very end of the "show tech" command on a lightweight AP includes some GREAT information - a list of SSIDs, which radios they are on, some basic config info, and the number of current users per SSID.  Here's an example.

SSID: MySSID1 on Dot11Radio1
bssid: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx Mode: 0x110, WLAN: 2 , VLAN name:
Key Mgmt 7, Reap flags 0x11, Guest No , Current Users 0
SSID: MySSID2 on Dot11Radio0
bssid: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx Mode: 0x110, WLAN: 1 , VLAN name:
Key Mgmt 7, Reap flags 0x11, Guest No , Current Users 0
SSID: MySSID3 on Dot11Radio0
bssid: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx Mode: 0x192, WLAN: 3 , VLAN name:
Key Mgmt 0, Reap flags 0x0, Guest Yes, Current Users 0, Open Auth
SSID: MySSID4 on Dot11Radio0
bssid: xxxx.xxxx.xxxx Mode: 0x110, WLAN: 4 , VLAN name:
Key Mgmt 0, Reap flags 0x0, Guest No , Current Users 0, Open Auth

This shows up just past the "show buffers" command, but it's clearly not output from that command.

Does anyone know how to get this information with a SHOW command???

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is this HREAP?

That output looks like "show capwap reap association" (or something similar to that), but I believe the command is only for HREAP.

However, another trick I use to get generally the same information is:

1140#show contr do0 | section Vlan
Vlan BSSID   Clients PSP Pri HT Encr  Key0 Key1 Key2 Key3 SSIDs MFP
   0n C8C0 0       0   0   0  0    0
   1  C8C0 0       0   0   3  4    0                      Open1 0
1140#show contr do1 | section Vlan
   0n C8CF 0       0   0   0  0    0
   1  C8CF 0       1   0   3  4    0                      Open1 0

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

b.garczynski
Level 1
Level 1

Any reason you do not want to pull this information directly from the controller?

I'm not a huge fan of the GUI interface on the WLC (or especially WCS).  But even if I was . . . this information is scattered all around.  I can't find, for example, a place to tell me which SSIDs are associated with which radios on a specific AP (similar to "show dot11 bssid" on an autonmous AP).  I want to SEE the operational configuration - not depend on which WLAN group the AP is a member of.

Thanks for the reply !

Go to the WLC GUI > Clients (lower left-hand side) and the output will tell you the clients, SSID they are connected and if they are Authenticated and/or Associated.

Thanks for the reply!  But, that's not really what I'm looking for.  I can definitely find the connected users by picking through the WLC GUI.  My question was - how do I see an equivalent output to the "show dot11 bssid" and "show dot11 assoc" on a lightweight AP CLI (or the WLC CLI).  This is definitely different information than is available in the GUI.

Okey dokey.  Then we'll do it the hard way it is.

Firstly, you'll need to know the client's MAC address.  I'll presume that you do know what it is.  If so, then the command to show what you are looking for is "sh  client detail ".

Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks again for the response - and seeing the client detail is great troubleshooting information.  But I'm not looking for that.

What I'm missing is the ability to see the same basic information that's available in a "show dot11 bssid" and "show dot11 assoc" on an autonomous AP - from the lightweight AP or WLC CLI.  Whoever wrote the "show tech-support" command knows exactly what I mean - because that section at the very end sticks out like a sore thumb.  Someone said in a development meeting - "hey, we need a list of SSIDs on this AP and a count of the number of users associated with each one."  I'm just looking for the command that generates that output (of course, this isn't the SAME as "show dot11 assoc", but it's getting there).

This seems like pretty BASIC information -

1) A list of WLANs on an AP.  This information is available in "show wlan apgroups" - but you have to hack your way through the output to get a basic list of SSIDs (without redirection commands of course ) !   Maybe something like "show ap config wlan " or "show wlan "?

2) A list of clients on an AP.  Currently the output of two commands - "show client ap 802.11a " and "show client ap 802.11b ", plus a "show wlan summary" to remind yourself of the WLAN ID mapping.  How about something like "show client ap "?

Is this HREAP?

That output looks like "show capwap reap association" (or something similar to that), but I believe the command is only for HREAP.

However, another trick I use to get generally the same information is:

1140#show contr do0 | section Vlan
   0n C8C0 0       0   0   0  0    0
   1  C8C0 0       0   0   3  4    0                      Open1 0
1140#show contr do1 | section Vlan
   0n C8CF 0       0   0   0  0    0
   1  C8CF 0       1   0   3  4    0                      Open1 0

Excellent !  The show controller commands work with and without HREAP.  That's really great - thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card