cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS 12.2(33)SXJ sw compability in upgrade.

Mats Nilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I had a discussion about this subject where I asked about ANY complications during this necessary upgrade.

In the release notes NOTHING is mentioned about loosing ALL portchannel configurations for the already present WiSM cards...

I asked this:

--------------------------------------

Jun 21, 2011 5:26 AM (in response to leolaohoo)

WiSM2 possible to run on older IOS?

One more question on this thread.

Since we have now got a go for upgrading the IOS I have a little difficaulties finding if the current IOS will upgrade correctly to the advised version without any loss.

Current version is (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF7

In the realease notes for IOS 12.2(33)SXJ I can't find any upgrade matrix or upgrade train.

Will this version upgrade without causing any mishaps on current WiSM(ver.1) and switch config?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't get any adequate answer, but since NO ONE did mention any repercussions, we did the upgrade...

...and we did loose configuration !

Still the WiSM (version 1) is working all right, but where did the related WiSM configuration go?.

How can you do a span session if you have no interface to tie onto?

I think this issue is important for other users on thi forum to know.

7 Replies 7

Scott Parish
Level 1
Level 1

I realize this is a slightly old thread, but this is a good thing to note and I'll throw in a couple pennies.  This weekend I did a slightly scarier upgrade from further down the software tree from 12.2(33)SXH3 to SXJ1 so that we could support our new wism2.  The biggest change for me was that the wisms now do auto-lag, and configure themselves automagically.  It came up fine, but it threw me a bit, since I could no longer touch the gig interfaces and portchannels for the wism1 as I had been used to doing in the past.  So if you have any manual configs for those they just need to be removed.

The only other thing that I had issues with was that we had a route map set up for our "public" wlan, and the behavior changed on that after the update.  This wlan would not pass traffic to the gateway address after the update, whereas it worked just fine before.  But its probably a problem specific to my setup; it likely just exposed some failed matching logic that we had been using.

To your point about span sessions, wouldn't you now just monitor the port channel interface that is autoconfigured?

Hi Scott.

No, the issue wasn't the auto-lag portchannel configuration, since that was already done in the prevous IOS sw.

However, the autoconfigured interfaces were lost in the GigabitEthjernet intefaces...

You could show ithe interfaces, though, but the configuration changed was unexpected and disturbing.

Since this is a lerce retail company it spooked us befor we learned that the configuration was still there, but "hidden".

No mention of this in the release notes though.

Regards

/Mats

Hi Mats

A had the same problem with our upgrade to s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SXJ1.bin yesterday.

The WISM Interface was gone, and no Portchannels come up.

Whe took the safe road back to our previous IOS s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin

Have you got any recommendations for solution.

Best Regard

Johan Lindstrand

Johan,

We introduced the auto-configuration wism commands  starting in 12.2(18)SXF5, and in the SXI code and later (SXJ included)  it is now the only way to configure the WISM modules.

If you were previously using the manual port configuration, you will need to migrate to the new set of wism commands:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_tech_note09186a00808330a9.shtml#config

wism module controller <1/2> native-vlan x

wism module controller <1/2> allowed-vlan x,y,z...

-Patrick Croak

Wireless TAC

Karthik Murali
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Any one tried upgrading from from 12.2.33SXH2a to SXJ3?  Can I directly upgrade from SXH2 to SXJ3 without intermmediate hops?

Please advice!

had a discussion about this subject where I asked about ANY complications during this necessary upgrade.

In the release notes NOTHING is mentioned about loosing ALL portchannel configurations for the already present WiSM cards...

Hi Matt,

When I was running SXI3, 4, 4a and SXJ, one of the things we saw with WiSM-1 is when you reboot the chassis, the etherchannels to the WiSM-1 would get disabled.  We always had to remove the commands "wism module controller <1/2> native-vlan x" and add them back in.

Until now, I did not realize that this was still an ongoing issue with the 6500 IOS. 

Can I directly upgrade from SXH2 to SXJ3 without intermmediate hops?

Yes you can.  Just make sure you have the right amount of flash and DRAM.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card