cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is a license required for the access point to join the controller?

ntlong3
Level 1
Level 1

I want to ask if the access point needs a license to join the controller?

What if the access point still joins the controller even though it doesn't have a license? It will be disjoined after a while, for example.

Thank you for help.

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the model of the WLC and the AP.

ntlong3
Level 1
Level 1

I have two WLC C9800-L-F-K9 using HA mode SSO

AP model: AP-2802E

I have read some information that without a DNA license for the Access Point, the APs will repeatedly connect and disconnect or not broadcast any SSID.

that's not the case, if 9800 is improperly licensed, 9800 WLC displays out-of-compliance notifications and sends syslog messages. There is no hard enforcement and no impact on any of the functionalities. However Cisco retains the right to conduct audits to check license compliance so they  expect you to be compliant with license count.

-hope this helps-

ntlong3
Level 1
Level 1

So even if we don't have any kind of license, the access point will still join the controller, with all the features like RRM CleanAir...

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes they will work, but you will be in breach of license conditions so Cisco could prosecute for that breach if they so wish.  Planning to operate a WLC illegally is probably not a good idea. If you needed to operate that way for an interim period while you order the licenses that should be fine.  Using some external services (eg Cisco Spaces) may require verification of your licenses.

Cisco has already introduced license enforcement for 9800-CL.  Without smart licensing configured and working a maximum of 50 APs will be allowed to join.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-7/release-notes/rn-17-7-9800.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_36dcc319-36c4-4368-b1db-da5660b72211

Note

Starting from Cisco IOS XE Cupertino 17.7.1, the Cisco Catalyst 9800-CL Wireless Controller will not accept more than 50 APs if the smart licensing is not connected and up.

Cisco could introduce similar restrictions on other 9800 WLCs at any time.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Like others said, the ap's will join.  When and if you even upgrade to the newer ap's, then you will have to buy a license which is tied to the ap itself.  The older AP's like what you have, doesn't have that license and thus you would buy them separately to be compliant.  

Your ap's will not bounce around or disconnect because of that.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ntlong3
Level 1
Level 1

This information was very helpful to me and I was able to confirm the problem with the customer.

I'm grateful for everyone's help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card