cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it a good thing that 2.4GHz transmit power outperforms 5GHz?

RezaFH
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

As stated in the title, I'm now investigating a situation where the client prefers the 2.4GHz band channel over the 5GHz band channel. After i'm seeing the on the transmit power configuration

2.4GHz power level 1/8 (22 dBm)

5GHz power level 1/8 (18dBm)

even after enabling band select, the client still prefers 2.4GHz

because i want the client to prefer 5GHz without changes on the client side or i needed to create new SSID for 5GHz only

Additional Info

currently using 9800 WLC & 9210 Access Point

please advice

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Yes, I think it is a good idea control 2.4 power.  That´s something I usually do. I prefer let 5.0gz explore all the available power and 2.4ghz no more then 10 (-10 to 30 availablr).  But, dont simply follow the number I gave. Each environment have different requirements.

The best way is control the power and observe. 

You can also turn band select into a more aggressive mode by playing with Cycle Threshold and Cyple Count. But, again, find you own values.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Create a AP group and disable 2.4GH on that AP group and test it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaj,

Thanks for the input

i have tried that and the client connect to the 5GHz, but i dont wanna disable the 2.4 

Hi

Yes, I think it is a good idea control 2.4 power.  That´s something I usually do. I prefer let 5.0gz explore all the available power and 2.4ghz no more then 10 (-10 to 30 availablr).  But, dont simply follow the number I gave. Each environment have different requirements.

The best way is control the power and observe. 

You can also turn band select into a more aggressive mode by playing with Cycle Threshold and Cyple Count. But, again, find you own values.

Hi

Thanks for the input, i'm gonna try that on lab with condition on open space and closed space

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the wireless client's network card?

it's intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201, driver version 22.120.1.9

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card