cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to control end-user's wifi session based on data quota?

CATYO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am wondering if we can configure by using Meraki to control the end-user's wifi session. 

What I want to do is to assign 5Gb data quota to the end-user monthly, and if the user used up the all data assigned, Just disconnect them until the next period. 

Can we do this with Meraki or other solution? and do we also need like AD or Radius or LDAP as well?

Thank you

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Typically that is done with a 3rd party guest portal integration, not really on any wireless systems.  Search "Wireless guest portals", that should provide a few companies that support per user quota.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for your reply. 

Actually, this is not for the guest but for the internal users. and yeah, I saw some 3rd party solutions but just wondering If I could build this by using the Active directory or something. (Although I am not familiar with the active directory)

There is no solution for this unless you go with a 3rd party.  There is no use case to limit users per month, this seems like you want to treat internal access like guest.  You can still use the 3rd party tools to accomplish what you want, but it would need to integrate with AD for your use case.  Just don't see why you would do this, even for guest, I do not limit use.

-Scott

The reason for the limit is that these users are working on a remote site that only has an LTE router(50GB per month) and APs. 

So want to give all end-user to same data quota because I think you can imagine now, one user can use up all data quota with their smartphone watching video stream service or something like that. 

That's why I am looking for a solution for this. 

How would you like to be working at that remote site and them loose internet after a week and have to figure out another way to work for the next three weeks.  I personally would not be happy with the IT folks for implementing something like this.  Why not figure out a better way?  What do users do when their quota is reached?  How do they continue to work?

-Scott

Hi, no. natively meraki not support this requirement. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

With what you get out of the box you can't apply a data cap.  You can only assign speed.

If this is a web-based portal, there are third party services you can use which can support data caps like Splash Access.

https://www.splashaccess.com/ 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card