Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with links between APs and VLANs

Soxi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to install the new Cisco APs the company got that are C9105AXI-E.

I have my APs in a native VLAN (we can say VLAN1).

The wireless clients will be going through a 802.1x authentication process which will determine where they will be placed, depending on the result of the auth phase.

The APs are communicating with a RADIUS server the instant a wireless client is attaching to it.

- If the client passes the authentication, the AP directs it to the VLAN2 (with DHCP set up inside).
- If the client isn't recognized by the RADIUS, then the AP directs the client inside the VLAN3, a VLAN for the guest devices (with DHCP also set up inside).

My issue is that when we try to join the SSIDs, we manage to be connected to it but we don't get any IP addresses.

Do you guys have any idea where the issue could come from ? I know I stayed quite vague about my infrastructure but I'm ready to provide information when needed so you can help me on that.

We think that we missed the parameter that is able to tell to the APs where are the VLANs 2 and 3 so they can redirect the clients in them, so they get their IP adresses by DHCP.

Thanks in advance for your help !

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If the "little switch" is not configurable then it almost certainly is really a hub and doesn't support VLANs so that will be your problem.  You need the APs connected to a real VLAN supporting switch.  Chances are all your dot1q traffic is just getting dropped by the hub because it doesn't recognise the VLAN headers.

And EWC only supports flexconnect local switching so that's the only type of WLAN you'll be able to configure.
"no local-site", "no central association", "no central dhcp", "no central switching" under the wireless policy profile.

You do still need to define the VLANs in the flexconnect profile otherwise the AP doesn't "know" they exist.

View solution in original post

Switches connected to other switches don't inherently get configurations from the upstream switch.  So in the future if you need to add another wlan or vlan, you must make sure the switches have that vlan and the trunk ports also have that vlan.  At least you got it working.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is your design local or flexconnect?  if using FlexConnect, make sure that you have the ap on a trunk port and that the vlan you are trying to assign to the device, is defined on the switches along the path.  You can validate this by connecting your laptop to the switch the ap is connected to and configure ex. vlan 2 and vlan 3 to see if your laptop gets a dhcp address.

If your ap's are in local mode, then the traffic is passed to the controller, so the controller needs to also be connected to a trunk port that allows the vlans you need.  You can use the laptop method on the swithc the controller is on to validate vlan 2 and vlan 3 are working from a wired side.  If it isn't, then you know the issue is with the spanning of the vlan or dhcp.

-Scott

Rich R
VIP
VIP

What model of WLC are you using?
What version of software is that running?
What radius server are you using?
As Scott said - how is the WLAN configured on AP - local mode (or flex with central switching) or flex local switching?  Which then leads to making sure the central or AP ports have the correct VLANs allowed and connected.  If you're using flex local the VLANs will need to be defined in your flexconnect profile.
Have you done a debug on a client to see exactly what is happening? And use https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-debug-analyzer/ to process the result of that.

Soxi
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I am using an eWLC that is supported by one of my APs and another one in standby.
Regarding the software version, they are all in IOS XE 17.06.04 and I have access to a 9800 GUI by http (if I understood well).

To be really precise, at the moment I have my WLC and my APs plugged to a little switch and this switch is not configurable. It is connected to an RJ45 outlet (which is directly linked to a switch port) and this is the one we configured. I am not sure that all the ports of the little switch are inheriting of the "outlet port" configuration, but in the end, the APs are supposed to all be connected to "outlet ports" so all directly to the real, configurable 48 ports switch.

I am gonna ask for the radius server and tell you asap.

Regarding the type of my WLAN design, I am not sure exactly what the two differents modes consist of since I am a beginner in the Networks. Are you in a local design by default and switching to the flex design when making a flex profile ?

We tried the two configurations I believe since we thought the issue was that we couldn't specify the VLAN ID of the VLAN 2 and 3 to the APs so they wouldn't know where to redirect the clients.

And we didn't try a debug yet.

If the "little switch" is not configurable then it almost certainly is really a hub and doesn't support VLANs so that will be your problem.  You need the APs connected to a real VLAN supporting switch.  Chances are all your dot1q traffic is just getting dropped by the hub because it doesn't recognise the VLAN headers.

And EWC only supports flexconnect local switching so that's the only type of WLAN you'll be able to configure.
"no local-site", "no central association", "no central dhcp", "no central switching" under the wireless policy profile.

You do still need to define the VLANs in the flexconnect profile otherwise the AP doesn't "know" they exist.

Soxi
Level 1
Level 1

Yes this is exactly what I figured out after posting my second message.

" I am not sure that all the ports of the little switch are inheriting of the "outlet port" configuration, but in the end, the APs are supposed to all be connected to "outlet ports" so all directly to the real, configurable 48 ports switch."

Apparently, the "little switch" can be configurated (but I don't know how since there is no console port and so I don't know how you give him an IP address).

Anyway, I supposed if the configurated port was linked with the first port of the little switch, would it spread its configuration to all the other ports ?

I plugged the eWLC directly to the configurated port and it magically worked, I had now an ip@ and was connected to internet via the AP's SSID.

In the end, our configuration wasn't wrong.

I thought about it when reading your messages and I thank you sooo much for your help, it helps a lot.

Switches connected to other switches don't inherently get configurations from the upstream switch.  So in the future if you need to add another wlan or vlan, you must make sure the switches have that vlan and the trunk ports also have that vlan.  At least you got it working.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card