Views
Helpful
Replies

issue WLC 5508 DHCP mac os and windows

mrCua
Level 1
Level 1

hi all expert!

i have with my LAN, my LAN have 3850 stack, and DHCP on this 3850 stack ,I have problem with 5508, on set one SSID and  with mac book os, i phone , android phone can receive DHCP and connect to network, but windows cannot receive ip from DHCP, with windows i must connect SSID and setting static IP, I don't know where the problem at WLC 5508, Please advise me, thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a checkup of the WLC 5508 configuration according to WirelessAnalyzer input (procedure) for AireOs controllers   and
   feed the output into : Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

As a general rule Fast SSID Switching should always be enabled.  Did it resolve the problem with your windows devices?

If other clients can get DHCP addresses then Windows should be able to.  Check:
- WLC software up to date - latest release for 5508 is 8.5.182.11 - download link below.
- Make sure windows has all OS updates and WiFi driver updates installed (some copied from Leo):
For Intel-based AX2xx https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html Refer to CSCwe50033
or Realtek RTL88xx, the wireless NIC driver should be, at a minimum, 6001.10.352.0 (and later).
- Check the features you have enabled for the WLAN - try disabling options like FT or PMF in case one of those is causing an issue.

@mrCua Cisco software is licensed - we are not allowed to share it.

Suggest you follow these steps to get the updated software from Cisco:
Find a recent security advisory that affects 8.5 code and find the section which says "Customers without Contracts" then email TAC (do not phone) quoting the URL of the advisory, the paragraph just mentioned and the version and URL for the software you want to download and the serial number of your WLC.  Then TAC should publish the software to you directly.

This advisory should be suitable: Cisco Wireless LAN Controller AireOS Software FIPS Mode Denial of Service Vulnerability 

"Customers Without Service Contracts

Customers who purchase directly from Cisco but do not hold a Cisco service contract and customers who make purchases through third-party vendors but are unsuccessful in obtaining fixed software through their point of sale should obtain upgrades by contacting the Cisco TAC: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-worldwide-contacts.html

Customers should have the product serial number available and be prepared to provide the URL of this advisory as evidence of entitlement to a free upgrade."

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a checkup of the WLC 5508 configuration according to WirelessAnalyzer input (procedure) for AireOs controllers   and
   feed the output into : Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

mrCua
Level 1
Level 1

thanks marce1000, 

According to the analysis results, I only see this part related to Mac book and Windows devices, but currently this function has been turned off.

Fast SSID: Fast SSID enabled is recommended for networks that may have Apple IOS client devices
Action: Fast SSID allows easier client jump between WLANS, and it is highly recommended for networks with Apple devices. It should not be used in combination with NAC policies. Command: config network fast-ssid-change enable

As a general rule Fast SSID Switching should always be enabled.  Did it resolve the problem with your windows devices?

If other clients can get DHCP addresses then Windows should be able to.  Check:
- WLC software up to date - latest release for 5508 is 8.5.182.11 - download link below.
- Make sure windows has all OS updates and WiFi driver updates installed (some copied from Leo):
For Intel-based AX2xx https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html Refer to CSCwe50033
or Realtek RTL88xx, the wireless NIC driver should be, at a minimum, 6001.10.352.0 (and later).
- Check the features you have enabled for the WLAN - try disabling options like FT or PMF in case one of those is causing an issue.

mrCua
Level 1
Level 1

thanks Rich R

i will try your recommend and will update 
WLC software up to date - latest release for 5508 is 8.5.182.11 - download link below.=> my accout cannot download ios, could you help send link download to me

@mrCua Cisco software is licensed - we are not allowed to share it.

Suggest you follow these steps to get the updated software from Cisco:
Find a recent security advisory that affects 8.5 code and find the section which says "Customers without Contracts" then email TAC (do not phone) quoting the URL of the advisory, the paragraph just mentioned and the version and URL for the software you want to download and the serial number of your WLC.  Then TAC should publish the software to you directly.

This advisory should be suitable: Cisco Wireless LAN Controller AireOS Software FIPS Mode Denial of Service Vulnerability 

"Customers Without Service Contracts

Customers who purchase directly from Cisco but do not hold a Cisco service contract and customers who make purchases through third-party vendors but are unsuccessful in obtaining fixed software through their point of sale should obtain upgrades by contacting the Cisco TAC: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-worldwide-contacts.html

Customers should have the product serial number available and be prepared to provide the URL of this advisory as evidence of entitlement to a free upgrade."

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card