Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Android QoS marking

carletto.riemma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I haver a question about Jabber for Android.

Does Jabber mark upstream IP Packet with DSCP value?

I would use Jabber on Android Tablet in a WLAN. I need DSCP marking to use 802.11e.

Another question: where I find a list of "Jabber compatible" Android device?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You don't have to worry about if Jabber marks the upstream IP traffic. You, instead, need to care about two other things:

- The Jabber is running on WMM copmatible client; that it will send correct 802.11e data for your priority traffic.

- Your SSID is configured correctly for QoS (Platinum/Voice QoS).

Once the  802.11e data sent by the client is voice data, and your SSID is mapped for voice QoS then the upstream traffic will automatically be mapped for the corresponding voice DSCP (EF - 46).

Check this helpful document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807e9717.shtml

HTH

Amjad

p.s: the above is correct for Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers. If you use other vendor or standalone APs then let us know.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hi Carletto,

There is no way for us to mark wireless traffic (as we normally do in wired networking). It's depend on the application & wireless network driver of the WMM capable device.Also original DSCP marking of the packet will not be the deciding factor when it comes to wireless QoS. It will be the 802.11e/WMM_UP set up in 802.11 frame will determine who gets the priority in wireless media.

I haven't test this with Android. But I have tested this with iphone4 with platinum QoS settings on WLC.Even though we expect iphone will classify RTP traffic (voice) into 802.11e/WMM_UP 6 & then AP map this into EF as per cisco baselining, you will see IPhone will clasify this traffic as video (WMM_UP of 5). This is true for IP communicator used in windows laptop as wireless client.

Therefore this traffic will go as AF41 (not EF) in outer CAPWAP header from AP to WLC and subsequenty wired site of your network(again all depend on how you configure QoS on your AP & WLC connected swtich ports & original packet DSCP value changes when it comes to destingation). I would assume Android devices behave the same (but you have to test it to confirm)

Certain Applications (like Polycom Real Presence - Video Conference client application) do not these classification. I used it for ipad2 for testing &  all video traffic go as Best Effort in 802.11 frames. Therefore those sort of traffic will not get any priority over other traffic (as everyhing goes as BE) in wireless media.

HTH

Rasik: in conclusion, it is application dependent ti mark or not the 802.11 header with platinum traffic.
Is that what you want to say?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Amjad,

Not exactly, this is how I understand it & summarize ....

1. Within the wireless cell traffic get prioratized based on 802.11e or WMM User Priority value(UP).AP does not have any control over what UP values set by clients on its wireless frame.

2. How end user device set WMM_UP in wireless frame is application/ device's driver dependant.( eg RTP traffic coming from 7921 phone set to UP=6 in 802.11 frame header where  as RTP traffic coming from Jabber client in iPhone set UP=5 in 802.11 frame header )

Point number 2 is the one I wanted to highlight based on my testing conducted. Hope this is clear...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: