Views
Helpful
Replies

JOINING a NEW AP1832i with an EXISTING Mobility Express AP 1832i

marcvb123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a wireless network with only one AP 1832i. He is master controller and runs the Mobility Express firmware with

the release 8.5.151.0.

Now I tried to join a new bought AP 1832i (= Lightweight Access Point) in the network but after hours the join didn't take place !!!

I think that the firmware of the new AP is older than the firmware of the controller.

Questions:

• Is there a method to find which firmware version is installed on the new AP ?
  • Is there a method to force the join ?

Thanks, for help 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marc, your TFTP server should have a dir on your drive that is the root of your tftp path which is denoted with a forward slash.

If the apxgx files are in that dir you need to specify / as your path.  Else you need /dirname.

And make sure the wlc can reach your pc and your OS firewall is off or allows incoming tftp.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For starters attach  a console to the new AP and power up 1) You will see the firmware version mentioned somewhere during startup 2) Watch for error messages as to why the AP does not join the controller.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

If efficient join is not enabled you will need to review the upgrade software configuration in the management tab and check if the TFTP parameters are still correct.

Then you need to make sure the TFTP server is reachable on that IP and the path is pointing to where the correct files are.

Because normally the upgrade via mobexp it uses the external tftp server to stream the correct apXgX file to the newly joining AP.

I do this alot with my laptop using TFTPD64.  So I disable windows firewall and select the correct folder and make sure my ethernet IP is the same as configured in the MOBEXP controller.

@ joey

Using your advice I set up a TFTP server on my portable and transfer a file via tftp from my portable to another pc works perfect.

Now in the joining process I still get a problem. In the log there is a message "Image download did not start for 120 seconds". So image download cannot start.

Question: on the controller do I have to specify the whole path of the file or only the filename ? In my case the file ap1g4 (AP1832). (see snapshot)

Marc, your TFTP server should have a dir on your drive that is the root of your tftp path which is denoted with a forward slash.

If the apxgx files are in that dir you need to specify / as your path.  Else you need /dirname.

And make sure the wlc can reach your pc and your OS firewall is off or allows incoming tftp.

Joey, thanks for your help.

Once parameters on the TFTP server and on the software update tab on the controller the joining and update process works perfect.

It is good to mention that the device, the AP himself, knows which file he has to take to do the upgrade. Only the folder is necessary.

Issue closed !

kind regards,

marc

Hi,
many thanks for the replies.
I try the suggestions tomorrow morning and come back with the feedback.

With Putty I have installed a console on the new AP.

So the new AP has firmware version 8.5.140 and the AP with Mobility Express has 8.5.151. I'm quite sure that the difference of firmware is the reason of the joining issue. (Which is a huge problem when you have to install new AP's in an existing up-to-date Wifi network)

Now, is there a possibility to upgrade the new AP manually to version 8.5.151 ?

Otherwise I have to downgrade the AP with MobExpr to version 8.5.140; join the new AP and after joining upgrade again to version 8.5.151. This a lot more work to do.

Thanks, for your advice and experience.

Here the manual for the software upgrades:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-5/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_5/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_5_chapter_0111.html#concept_4E1DCD5CC7A74E9FA52AF3B393D071D8

You can provide the 8.5.151.0 image on a TFTP server and the new AP should automatically load it if it's correctly configured on the Master AP. There should also be a HTTP method and lastly a manual method. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card