cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Joining Aironet 1832i to new Catalyst 9115axi ewc

hoosier2933
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, ive brought up the new Catalyst 9115axi embedded wireless controller and have it configured, as well as the software download portion in the ewc. Using tftp pointing to local pc to grab images as I add additonal subordinate ap's. I tested a couple 2800's and they auto join the 9115running ewc, hit tftp, grab image and successfully join the ewc. However im having issues with an older 1832i that I had been using in another location. I have reset the ap back to factory using mode button, and see that it is running an ME version 8.5.131. I console in and watch it try to join the 9115ewc but nothing ever happens. It never grabs anything from the pc running tftp. Is this 1832ap running 8.5.131 running a version too old to auto join the new 9115 ewc possibly? On the console i see the 1832 say "Image Data Request sent to 10.60.112.4", which is my 9115 ewc, however nothing happens on tftp and the 1832 just continues to do this over and over again. If I need to manually update the 1832 over console, can someone please let me know the steps? I tried upgrading to the 8.10 tar file but not sure im using the correct commands. It does hit the tftp server and grab the 8.10 tar file but just gives error when done downloading it. I know the 1832 ap's are capable of being subordanate ap's on the new embedded wireless controller, but just not sure why i cant this 1832 to join. Any help would be much appreciated, ive done a lot of looking around but still stuck at this point.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... and see that it is running an ME version 8.5.131. ...

- Convert the 1832i to CAPWAP mode

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... and see that it is running an ME version 8.5.131. ...

- Convert the 1832i to CAPWAP mode

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks, i did find that was my issue. Once convert to capwap i was able to manually download the new image to ap, reload, and then it did join the ewc. Appreciate the response. 

Hi 

can you share the steps please? 
I have an ewc 9115 and I am going to join some old ME 1832i. 

Regards

Hi

can you share the steps please? 

I currently have the same problem.

I started by resetting the AP back to factory using the reset button during startup for 20 seconds. Once boots back up, convert the ap to capwap running "ap-type capwap" command. AP should reboot and then you can manually download the ap1g4 image to the 1832 using tftp. I ran the command below, IP address was my tftp server in this scenario. Once it grabs the image, reload the AP and youre good.

beconnect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

also be aware  of the version that old 1832i have. 

i found easier to update first the ME to a 8.10 version and then to the conversion to capwap. After that , it should be more smooth the joinning to the EwC

see also this:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/c9115axi-ewc-e-mixed-with-ap-1852i-me/td-p/4799640

regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card