cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Laggy YouTube/Prime stream on 2802i/2702i with Mobility Express.

sardarjion
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like some help on how to proceed in debugging the issue below for example, what type of logs etc. to collect and analyze. 

Issue: I have 2802i in mobility express mode with 8.10.185.0 version installed. Another 2702i connects to this ME. Both APs connect to cisco rvs4000 directly. No switches or couplers etc. in between. I have Samsung smart TV with youtube app. Whenever, I watch a video on Youtube, I see the videos are blurry and videos play on 240p/360p. The mode for video is set to Auto in settings. I ensured the SSID is only 5GHz and no other client is connected on network to rule out other devices hogging the bandwidth. I tried both 2802i or 2702i connecting to TV but the video is laggy and poor quality. 

Now, I switch the configuration to WLC 2504 (8.5.182.7) with both these APs in local mode. The APs along with WLC connect directly to rvs4000 LAN ports. The issue goes away completely and the video quality automatically goes to 720p or 1080p. I tried with both 2802i and 2702i and quality remains same i.e. excellent. 

In both the cases, I didn't play with data speed settings and keep it default. SSID is both case have same name and only 5Ghz. I thought it will limited to just Youtube but saw this on Amazon Prime and Netflix as well. Then I thought maybe the apps on TV are buggy and then took firestick and tried and same results. 

On Youtube, there is option for "stats for nerds" and it shows the buffer graph. I saw in mobility express mode the buffer would continuously deplete and I would see choppy video and then buffer files up again but on WLC 2504 it never goes down and video runs properly. 

Also, I ran speed test on both models and it shows 550mbps download but somehow video is still a problem in ME mode. 

My internet speed is 500mbps/20mbps. 

15 Replies 15

Even if this is a genuine issue on 2802i AP, what type of logs will prove it? Would you know what logging I can enable and then check on WLC 2504 and MobilityExpress. There has to be some logging which will show packets are either delayed. 

Right now, all the experiments point that there is something going on at ME level but it would require further investigation/logs even if I were to raise it as a bug. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card