cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAPs joing the wrong controller

JASON SIMMONS
Level 2
Level 2

We have 3 5508 WLCs  (A, B, & C) and several LAPs (1140, 3500, 3600). The APs learn the controllers IP addresses through DHCP Option 43.  When we setup a new site we put the IP address of the controller we want the AP to join first.  Lately, I've noticed that regardless of which WLC IP I put first when I setup Option 43 the LAPs are always joining a particular controller.

Master Controller Mode is not set on any controller.

All controllers are running version 7.3.101.0

Has anyone else seen something like this?

6 Replies 6

JASON SIMMONS
Level 2
Level 2

This behavior started happening before I upgraded to version 7.3.

Did you enable Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Controller details?

This happens before I can set a Primary.  This happens with brand new out of box LAPs

so, WLC discovery doesn't work like that.

When you set option 43, DNS, L2 broadcast etc, the AP learns about all the WLC in the mobility group.

The AP should then join the WLC with the greatest excess availability.  Once the AP has joined, you can then set the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary, and if AP fallback is enabled the AP will move to it's configured primary controller.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

The AP should then join the WLC with the greatest excess availability.

Greatest excess availibility, meaning the controller with the most available licenses?  If that is true, it makes sense why the LAPs initially join that controller.

Thanks for clarifying this process.

From what I have seen, the new AP always join the least busy controller (lowest number of APs) in the mobillity group first.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card