Views
Helpful
Replies

License check on WISM

ethutchinson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We inherited a catalyst 6500 along with a WISM from another department. It is newer than the WLC 4402 we have been using. I have managed to clean off most of the department specific info and get my interface/vlan info setup without any issue. There are 200 AP licenses installed on the WISM and I want to know if I can change the WISM name, mobility group, NAS-ID, etc. with without invalidating those licenses. If there is a config change I would make to invalidate those licenses what would it be so I can stay away from it.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

According to my understanding, modifying the "WISM name, mobility group, NAS-ID, etc." configuration will not affect the license.
You can use "show license summary", "show license capacity" and "show license all" to check the license status of In-use/Active. These commands can see the license count.
Hope to help you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !

View solution in original post

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No command will affect the license besides HA-SSO. As long as you don't enable HA-SSO (or change it) the license stays. I am not sure if so called "adder" licenses would disappear if you 'write erase' the WiSM, but typically the licenses are hardware bound. 

Warning, if you adjust the mobility-group and you want to use both WLC which are in the WiSM (it's made of two standalone WLC 4402 if I remember correctly), also adjust the mobility group on the second WLC, or roaming will be broken. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

According to my understanding, modifying the "WISM name, mobility group, NAS-ID, etc." configuration will not affect the license.
You can use "show license summary", "show license capacity" and "show license all" to check the license status of In-use/Active. These commands can see the license count.
Hope to help you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No command will affect the license besides HA-SSO. As long as you don't enable HA-SSO (or change it) the license stays. I am not sure if so called "adder" licenses would disappear if you 'write erase' the WiSM, but typically the licenses are hardware bound. 

Warning, if you adjust the mobility-group and you want to use both WLC which are in the WiSM (it's made of two standalone WLC 4402 if I remember correctly), also adjust the mobility group on the second WLC, or roaming will be broken. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card