Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing on Cisco WLC 5508

YavarFallahi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I have two Cisco WLC '5508' series on my LAN, currently not installed as HA pair as I have statically defined different groups of APs to each with mobility functionally. At the current each WLC have 100 base perm licences installed.  

I am now thinking of purchasing HA licencing and implement Active/Standby solution. However, I have the following question:

1)  By implementing HA licensing - can I take off the 100 base licences from the WLC02 and install it on WLC01 (so in total 200 licences) and then implement HA licence?

I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me some advice,

Many thanks,

Yavar

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

can I take off the 100 base licences from the WLC02 and install it on WLC01 (so in total 200 licences) and then implement HA licence?

Yes, this can be done.  

Send an email to Cisco Licensing Team and provide them with the following information: 

1.  The CCO login where the WLC service contracts are attached to; 

2.  The serial numbers of the two WLC; and

3.  Describe which of the two will get the 50 AP license and which will be the HA.

Hi Leo,

May be I am wrong but just need your guidance:

As I know:

Base AP: *** we cant remove base-ap license from WLC and transfer to other.
Adder : *** Yes we can transfer adder license from one WLC to other.

is it correct  or ??  in above reply  you mentioned that base AP license can be moved from one WLC to another?

Regards

Can be done, Sandeep.  

Depends entirely on the licensing team and your SE/AM.  

At the end of the day, it's just numbers going back and forth the system.

Thanks Leo.

Leo,

Base AP's can't be moved unless you have an RMA and then they provide you with another base AP license. I have had many customers try this and the answer was no:)

Now the question would be if the license team would be kind to convert a base to an addr which the OP would need and then still keep the one controller with 100 base since you need 50 to do HA.  Cisco would say that you need to buy a 100 AP addr license as they would be loosing out. So it really depends if the person you get will do this for you or not.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So it really depends if the person you get will do this for you or not.

Exactly my point (which I didn't want to mention in earlier post). 

Depends on the person in the licensing team if he/she is willing to do it or not.

Hi Leo,

Many thanks for your response. I just didn't get his part " Describe which of the two will get the 50 AP license and which will be the HA" - why 50 AP licence?

I look forward hearing from you soon,

Kind Regards,

Yavar

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card