cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Local Redundancy Port Type Mismatch

Paul47
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks. I have a pair of 9800-40s, 17.9.4 code. Having trouble making HA come up. I ran test wireless redundancy rping on both sides, and it fails. I am assuming they forgot to connect the RP ports, it is at a remote data center and they are going to check. Note the connection is supposed to be copper, the two devices are in the same rack.

However, I've also noticed that both machines are showing the Local Redundancy Port Type is fiber!

wlc-04#sho chassis detail
Chassis/Stack Mac Address : 68e5.9e5b.fac0 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
Local Redundancy Port Type: FIBRE
H/W Current
Chassis# Role Mac Address Priority Version State IP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1 Active 68e5.9e5b.fac0 2 V02 Ready 169.254.74.145

Stack Port Status Neighbors
Chassis# Port 1 Port 2 Port 1 Port 2
--------------------------------------------------------
1 DOWN DOWN None None

Yet there is no SFP installed, nor was one ordered. This connection was always supposed to be copper.

wlc-04#sho platform hardware slot r0 ha_port sfp idprom
% Error: No SFP is present

These results are the same on each controller. They're both showing port type = fiber, and no SFP present.

I don't see any command to change it to copper. What's going on? Does it default to fiber until there's a UTP link light? Or is there something else going on?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paul47
Level 1
Level 1

HA is now up. These controllers must show Local Redundancy Port Type: FIBRE by default if the copper connection is down, even if there are no SFP modules.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

klnnnnng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul47,

please check the High Availability SSO Deployment Guides. I guess that the copper port is still not connected. 

Both C9800-40-K9 and C9800-80-K9 Wireless controllers have two RP Ports as shown in the figures
above:
■ RJ-45 Ethernet Redundancy port
■ SFP Gigabit Redundancy Port

If both the Redundancy Ports are connected:
■ SFP Gigabit Ethernet port takes precedence if they are connected at same time.
■ HA between RJ-45 and SFP Gigabit RP ports is not supported.
■ Only Cisco supported SFPs (GLC-LH-SMD and GLC-SX-MMD) are supported for RP port
■ When HA link is up via RJ-45, SFPs on HA port should not be inserted even if there is no link
between them. As it is a physical level detection, this would cause the HA to go down as
precedence is given to SFP

Regards

Can you take screen shot of sfp port in wlc 

MHM

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... I am assuming they forgot to connect the RP ports
 - Well indeed , that should be determined as being OK , or not : further on the primary controller have  a checkup of it's configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless and feed the output into : Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Paul47
Level 1
Level 1

HA is now up. These controllers must show Local Redundancy Port Type: FIBRE by default if the copper connection is down, even if there are no SFP modules.

Indeed it must show indication of port use is it copper or fiber.

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card