cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for a way to sync the AP configurations between multiple controllers

rejackson
Level 1
Level 1

Its a small implementation one 2125 WLC, 24 1130ag light weight APs running in HREAP mode at branch offices.  Using the DHCP option to feed the APs the address of the controller. Now I have 5 more APs to install.  I have put up a 2106 controller and dont want to track which sites are configured to connect to which controller.  I modified the DHCP option at two test sites to give the AP both controller addresses and forced the APs to transition to the other controller.  That works but they came up with a defualt configuration; no HREAP, etc. because the controller does not know the AP.

I am looking for a way to sync the configurations of the APs in the controllers so I only have to configure them once. Otherwise I have to configure it inn whichever WLC it connects to, force a transition to the other WLC and configure it again.  Obviously as things grow that will become a nightmare.  The config backup does not have an option for just backing up the APs.  It includes the controller specific information.  Does anyone know about a process to make the controllers sync the information about the APs?    

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The HREAP config should be held on the AP itself and not the controller, per se.

Now, for the AP to keep it's config when it moves from one WLC to another, the configs need to match.

WLAN Profile/ID etc

AP Groups

HREAP Groups.

If you have AP_West_Lobby in AP group West, on the 2125.  You need to have AP group West on the 2106 as well.  Otherwise when the AP joins the WLC it will dump it's config, to be able to work with that WLC.

HTH,
Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the quesiton as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Stephen,

it sounds like you are saying it cant be done.  Once the AP loses contact with its controller it goes into local mode and just keeps trying to reach it unless you reset the AP.  Then it will search through the list of controllers in the DHCP option.  EEven if I create the HREAP groups on the expansion controller the APs wont be in the groups until they attach to it and I add them to the groups.

Not at all.  One the HREAP loses connection to it's WLC, if there is no backup WLC, it goes into standalone mode.

If there is a secondary WLC configured, or in the mobility group, it will attempt to join this WLC.  In this case, you just need to make sure the configs between the WLC match up.

HTH,
Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the quesiton as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card