Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking to setup wifi customer survey redirect

DCatBSCH
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, 

My current environment consists of a WLC 5520 with mostly if not all 9120AXI ap's on prem. Our current setup for guest wifi does not use ISE authentication it simply allows the end user on the network via captive portal.

VIP is requesting to have me setup wifi captive portal redirect which directs the guests to a customer survey. I was able to re-create a similar guest WLAN in order to test the setup but even after copying the configuration it seems that the SSID can broadcast but is unable to get out to the internet. 

Does anybody have instructions on setting up this network? Thank you in advance for any help. 

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I don't have an immediate direct reply , but if there are configuration changes or additions on the controller
    then validate the controller configuration again  using : WirelessAnalyzer input (procedure) for AireOs controllers
    and then feed the output from that into Wireless Config Analyzer

For the older aireos based controller such as the 5520 it becomes kind of mandatory to use the last release available :
    https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286284738/type/280926587/release/8.10.196.0

For irregular client behavior use client debugging according to : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/213258-collect-debugs-from-wireless-lan-control.html
                       Note that client debugs can be processed and analyzed withWireless Debug Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Without knowing anything about how your config looks it's hard to say.

Compare the WLAN configs side by side and look for any differences (other than those which are intended)

So as or right now we have a WLC (5508) that lives inside of our DMZ and a wlc that hangs off of the core. According to our documentation (I'm still new here) the DMZ WLC is purposes specifically for hosting the guest WLAN and the 5520 is for the 9120 AP's/regular day to day SSID's. I don't see any AP's associated with the 5508 so I'm trying to understand how the WLAN is being broadcasted since both of the WLC's have the SSID's.

I've copied the configuration identically to the current running configuration but I'm still unable to receive an ip on my device. Is it possible that I have to configure the WLAN on the 5508 rather than the 5520? 

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

This solution is called Guest Anchor Mobility. 

Refer the following documents for good understanding of how the solution works.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/configuring_auto_anchor_mobility.html

https://mrncciew.com/2013/03/22/auto-anchor-mobility/

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

And make sure the software on both WLCs is up to date as per the TAC recommended link below.

Currently that is 8.10.196.0 for the 5520 and 8.5.182.12 for the 5508.

Jagan, I was able to get the WLAN up and running based on your suggestions on anchoring thank you! Would you happen to know what the proper steps are to setting up the customer survey re-direct splash page would be? I'm referring to the documentation and it mentions providing a pre-authorization acl but not sure what ip I should be permitting..

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

Cisco WLC does not store user responses for splash login. An external server is required if this is a necessity. In your original post, you mentioned you have ISE. Are you planning to use ISE for the Guest Portal (CWA)?

The following are the Guest Portal techniques available on Cisco Controllers:

• LWA - Local Web Authentication
  • CWA - Central Web Authentication

If you have access to Cisco Live On-Demand videos, there is an excellent session titled "Be My Guest! Design and Deploy Wireless Guest Access That Works" which explains these options in detail. You can search for "BRKEWN-2014" at Cisco Live On-Demand Library.

For Cisco WLC ACLs, refer to this blog post by Rasika, which provides a clear explanation: WLC Access Control List (ACL).

Note that Pre-auth ACL changes based on the option you choose (CWA or LWA).

Jagan Chowdam

/**Pls rate useful responses**/

Hey Jagan, for the guest wireless we are using the passthrough option. I tested the page with a re-direct in the override global config along with a pre-auth acl for permitting any any traffic but Im not able to hit the redirect for some reason. Not really sure what else I am missing at this point.

DCatBSCH_0-1720629740603.png

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card