Views
Helpful
Replies

MAB in wireless with AireOS v8.5

norberto.padin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, how are you doing?

I was watching Jerome Henry's VoD from CLive Cancun 2017, BRKEWN-2005, in which during the video recording he hided slide 76 (which is present in the PDF). This slide talks about MAB. MAB in RJ-45 ports is well understood, but it is not clear to me how it works in wireless and under which L2 Security mechanisms. Does anybody has extra information or link about that? Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Do you have ISE on your environment?  The way I know to enforce MAB on wireless network is using ISE.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

Yeah, if you intend to use different authentication method them you need to have more SSIDs. Cisco usually recommend a limit of 4 SSDIs but I´ve seen environments with more and working perfectly. The negative impact of more SSID is on the channel utilization due more management packets but in a well designed wireless network you can go beyond 4.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi,

Do you have ISE on your environment?  The way I know to enforce MAB on wireless network is using ISE.

Yes, I have ISE.
So, if it is doable, please share links or documents about how to implement this.
Regards,
Nor.

Take a look here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/identity-services-engine/115732-central-web-auth-00.html

You can also look for videos on the LabMinute channel.

Thanks Flavio!

I was reading the doc and talks about Central Web Authentication, not MAC Authentication Bypass in Wireless.

The problem I have to solve is with IoT devices, in this case Smart TVs which need to gain internet access. Maybe MAB is not the right solution for this.

The customer will have the following scenario:

- Corporate network with WPA2 / ISE / AD / Certificates

- Guest access via WebAuth in ISE

- BYOD with onboarding with Certificates for corporate users with internet access only

- Wireless phones (8821 w/ CCM 11.5)

- IoT for Smart TVs with ISE Profiling and internet only access

The customer wants to simplify the BSSIDs by having as few of them as possible in order to maximize RF spectrum; and during a learning partner class, the instructor told them to use MAC Authentication Bypass. I know that in Ethernet, you can have a mix of authentication methods and ISE will figure it out, but in WiFi, I do not know if this can be done.

Do you think that the amount of BSSIDs can be minimized combining services? One more or less BSSIDs will not change to much the situation, will it?

Regards,

Nor.

Yeah, if you intend to use different authentication method them you need to have more SSIDs. Cisco usually recommend a limit of 4 SSDIs but I´ve seen environments with more and working perfectly. The negative impact of more SSID is on the channel utilization due more management packets but in a well designed wireless network you can go beyond 4.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card