cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management and native Vlan in different subnet??

harrismat91
Level 1
Level 1

Can i have a management ip and native vlan in different subnet on a AIR-1242 and 2960 switch?

Native on Switch = 1.

Interface vlan 100 = 10.10.1.25X /24

BVI ip in vlan 100 = 10.10.1.25X /24

-HM-

6 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

AFAIK, both the management and the Native will be the same... I assume.. You have Native Vlan as 1 on the switch and Int Vlan 100 on the switch for Routing?? Am i correct?? lemme know whats ur needs are.. which will help me to help you out!!

for your question..

Normally we specify the native vlan on the Switch and the AP so that the communication happens.. if there is a mis match the communication wont happen..

Looking forward to hear from you!!

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

Hi,

Thanks for the update..

Ok in short YES this can be done.. here is the AP configuration..

Step 1>> Configure the SSID and map it with respective Vlans..

Step 2>> Create the sub interafce int dot11 0.5 / int fa 0.5 (encapsulation dot1q 5 , bridge-group 5)and int dot11 0.6 / int fa 0.6(encapsulation dot1q 6 , bridge-group 6)

Step 3>> Create the sub interface 0.100 for both Radio and Fa and under this (encapsulation dot1q 100 native , bridge-group 1)

Step 4>> Make sure all the interafces are up and running and Try to ping the VLAN 100 interafce ip addr from the AP to verify.

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG

ok!! strange.. at the time we issue the command "encap dot1q 100 native" bridge-group 1 should be of no problem.. issue these comands..

int dot11 0.100

encap dot1q 100 native

bridge-group 1

end

int dot11 0

no bridge-group 1

int fa 0

no bridge-group 1

end

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

Did that help?? lemme know if you are facing any issues.. will help you out!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

Thats Nice to hear!! Regarding the native vlan.. it depends.. just try by not configuring native and see if we are able to ping or issue the command "sho mac-add table" and see if we are learning the vlan 100 traffic..

if not try configuring the native and do the same as above..

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Ok!! Looking forward to hear from you..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

12 Replies 12

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

AFAIK, both the management and the Native will be the same... I assume.. You have Native Vlan as 1 on the switch and Int Vlan 100 on the switch for Routing?? Am i correct?? lemme know whats ur needs are.. which will help me to help you out!!

for your question..

Normally we specify the native vlan on the Switch and the AP so that the communication happens.. if there is a mis match the communication wont happen..

Looking forward to hear from you!!

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks for the quick reply..

Yes you are right.. I have interface Vlan 100 on the switch which i am using for clients, Interface Vlan 1 is not used.

I need 2 SSIDs, which will be to Vlan 5 & 6. I need the traffic flow to AP for Vlan 100. how to solve?

-HM- 

Hi,

Thanks for the update..

Ok in short YES this can be done.. here is the AP configuration..

Step 1>> Configure the SSID and map it with respective Vlans..

Step 2>> Create the sub interafce int dot11 0.5 / int fa 0.5 (encapsulation dot1q 5 , bridge-group 5)and int dot11 0.6 / int fa 0.6(encapsulation dot1q 6 , bridge-group 6)

Step 3>> Create the sub interface 0.100 for both Radio and Fa and under this (encapsulation dot1q 100 native , bridge-group 1)

Step 4>> Make sure all the interafces are up and running and Try to ping the VLAN 100 interafce ip addr from the AP to verify.

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks again,

configured but, its not taking bridge-group 1 under .100 sub-int. any idea?

-HM-

ok!! strange.. at the time we issue the command "encap dot1q 100 native" bridge-group 1 should be of no problem.. issue these comands..

int dot11 0.100

encap dot1q 100 native

bridge-group 1

end

int dot11 0

no bridge-group 1

int fa 0

no bridge-group 1

end

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

Did that help?? lemme know if you are facing any issues.. will help you out!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Yes that did the trick.. Do i need to configure native as Vlan 100 on the switch port??

-HM-

Hi,

Thats Nice to hear!! Regarding the native vlan.. it depends.. just try by not configuring native and see if we are able to ping or issue the command "sho mac-add table" and see if we are learning the vlan 100 traffic..

if not try configuring the native and do the same as above..

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG

give a try and i will update you

Thanks a lot..

-HM-

Ok!! Looking forward to hear from you..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

The Native 100 helped.. thanks again.

-HM-

WOW!! Thats great to hear... thanks for posting on CSC..

have a great day!!

Regards
Surendra
====

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card