cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Manual url blocking in Wireless Lan Controller

diwakar410
Level 1
Level 1

I have wireless lan controller 2500 series. I want to manually block the url from the controller. I see the application visibility and contol(AVC)  there but i want to do it manually. Is it possible?  Similarly, i tried blocking certain things from there but the urls are blocked in chrome but they can be accessed through mozilla and opera. I need to install this controller in a college and i want certain websites to be blocked manually. 

Next thing i want to have my college logo when students go to login page  for the user name and password for using the wifi. I mean in this way as i have attached a file. Similarly, the logo could be for the admission notice and so on. Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Mathur
Level 1
Level 1

Namaskar Diwakar,

As far as the first query is concerned , please try the following:

++ Create an ACL under security >> Access Control List . Once the ACl is created , you can hover to the blue drop down arrow on far right of the ACL name and can add a URL string.

I hope that's what you may be looking for.

For the second Query: You will have to customize the login page . There is a freely available document explaining how to do that for Cisco WLCs.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0/configuration/guide/c70/c70users.html

This link should help you. Basically a little knowledge of HTML scripting may be required. You can just configure the default Cisco login page first. Log in as a guest client and as soon as you get the login page on your client machine browser , you can view source of the page and download it. Modify it as per your requirement and download the additional logo and picture files to the WLC as directed in the document.

Hope this helps,

Manish

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Manish Mathur
Level 1
Level 1

Namaskar Diwakar,

As far as the first query is concerned , please try the following:

++ Create an ACL under security >> Access Control List . Once the ACl is created , you can hover to the blue drop down arrow on far right of the ACL name and can add a URL string.

I hope that's what you may be looking for.

For the second Query: You will have to customize the login page . There is a freely available document explaining how to do that for Cisco WLCs.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0/configuration/guide/c70/c70users.html

This link should help you. Basically a little knowledge of HTML scripting may be required. You can just configure the default Cisco login page first. Log in as a guest client and as soon as you get the login page on your client machine browser , you can view source of the page and download it. Modify it as per your requirement and download the additional logo and picture files to the WLC as directed in the document.

Hope this helps,

Manish

Namaste Manish,

I will check the first thing about the ACL tomorrow and let you know for furthur information.

Regarding the second one, i feel that link is for logging into the WLC using the admin,guest or other users credentials. But, what i want is :
There is a SSID named STUDENTS and when students connect to this SSID, they should be prompted to the browser and login page should appear. Now the login page should contain the username and password field along with the customized logo/banner or photo i may want to use. I may be wrong but i think the link you have given me won't work according to my requirement. Please clearify me.
Thank you for your input. Really appreciate it.

Actually , that link describes the same feature that u r trying to implement. You are trying to implement customized web authentication page for guest users. 

I am sure that you will be able to achieve what you wish to by following this link. 

Thanks,

Manish

Hi Manish,

I tried applying the ACL and specified the urls as well but i don't see the rules to add urls in the add rule section. So how will this acl come into effect without specifying in the rule?

Hi Diwakar,

Honestly , I have never used this feature and I don't have a test WLC to test this once (though I am curious to test it now) ... However, as per this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-6/configuration-guide/b_cg76/b_cg76_chapter_0110101.html

We need to add the URLs to be allowed in the ACL as the last rule in any ACL on WLC will be deny-all. Hence, as per me , this will be a tough call if u r looking to block certain URLs. You will have to mention all the URLs which should be allowed.

Regards,

Manish

HI Manish,

There is no way to specify deny or allow so as per what you say could be right. I can't see any place to indicate the URLs. I hope the only way is to use the AVC profiles.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card