cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum number of Wireless Controllers allowed under DHCP Option 43?

brent.boghean
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Support Community,

I have a client that has a very large wireless environment and they are looking into redundancy schemes for a mult-homed/multi-dacenter setup.  I am being asked to find out what the maximum number of WLC's IP addresses that they can specify under DHCP Option 43.  The research I have done so far specifies a minimum value of 1 byte, but the maximum value is variable. 

The length field is 2 HEX characters and every 4th HEX character is a valid entry:

The length = N * 4  (where N is the number of WLC IP addresses in the field)

Therefore if all length values are valid this means that one could have 42 (or 41 if AA is not a valid entry) but this seems excessive and I'm thinking this would break something somewhere.

There are plenty of examples online with 0x08 for the length, which equals 2 controllers.

Cheers to any advice folks can provide, Thanks!

Brent

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

One mobility group can support 24 controller.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Option 43 for wireless, in my personal opinion, has one (and only one) function:  To direct NEW wireless access points (AP) to the desired "staging" WLC.

Once the APs "arrive" to the designated WLC, a responsible engineer then assigns the AP the primary, secondary and tertiary WLC to go to. 

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Brent,

I do agree with Leo....

Option 43 is a vendor specific, and is used by Cisco APs to find and join WLC controllers.

for more clarification please visit this.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/videos/1423

Hope it helps.

Reagrds

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

brent.boghean
Level 1
Level 1

I reached out to the rest of the consultants at the company I work for, Long View Systems, and sure enough I got a response back with the answer:

"As far as the max. # of WLC in Opt 43, it may be that the max theoretical is 42 or 41, but APs only store up to 24 learned controllers in NVRAM."

He mentioned to me the same thing about how Option 43 is typically used for staging as well, which I was already aware of.  Next time on the forums I will try to be more specific with the question I am asking.

Cheers

Sorry the forum will not let me mark my own post as a correct answer.

Hi

after wlc discovery the ap learn all conttroller ip from a mobility domain.

One mobility group can support 24 controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: