Views
Helpful
Replies

Measuring RSSI and SNR in controller environment

foreidd1962
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

Just converted our environment from autonomous to controller based. We are running 5508s, NCS, and 3502e APs. In the autonomous world I am used to being able to perform a "show dot11 associations all" CLI command and get my RSSI and SNR realtime by hitting the up arrow/return and have constant feedback on clients as we wander around testing coverage. Now, in the controller environment I can monitor the RSSI and SNR from my NCS, however it doesn't seem to update all that often.

1). Is there a CLI option in the 3502e AP to perform something similar to the "show dot11 associations all" command with a similar output? If so, how?

2). Is there an option on the controllers/NCS to increase the "refresh" rate of the RSSI and SNR?  If so, how?

Any feedback would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Don            

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you are looking for is Monitor > Clients ( On the WLC).  Pick your client and refresh to your hearts content.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for the reply Stephan. I have been doing that, but as we test, I refresh over and over and the values seem to only change about once a minute at best. Is there a polling interval that takes place between the controller and the AP that can be changed to get more "up to date" rssi and snr values?

Also, is there a programmable polling interval between the WLC and the Prime NCS that can be modified? There appears to be at least a 2 minute "lag" between what the WLC says and what the NCS reports.

Finally, is there not a CLI command in the AP itself where this information can be viewed?

Thanks again,

Don

wlc>show client detail

should tell the rssi and snr and also rssi for nearby APs.

i think, the polling interval can be changed for data collection, post a thread on nms.

in general, why rssi and snr is not shown on both direction i.e, how the AP sees the client from his location and only viceversa is cared. and worry about receiving sensitivity of client i.e, - ap to client and not otherway. shouldn't the AP know the rssi of client from his location so that client can shift the datarate accordingly.

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If u want real time then we can do this by using OID .. I dont hv the oid handy.. Lemme search for the same

Surendra

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

here is the OID info..

http://www.oidview.com/mibs/14179/AIRESPACE-WIRELESS-MIB.html

Search for SNR and RSSI.. if we use this and do a SNMP walk by writing a script then we will get the Real time value

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card