cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Memory Req's sup720 with WiSM

snarf65
Level 1
Level 1

My distributor told me i had to upgrade the memory of my Sup720's to accomodate the Wism Blade in my 6513. I can't seem to find any documentation on that.

Could anyone point me to that information, or tell me my distributor is Defective

Thanx in Advance

Frans Verschoor

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Frans,

I've looked through my documentation, and I cannont find any reference to a minimum required memeory for the Sup to have a WiSM module installed. So long as you have a Sup720, and not a SupI/II/III, and are running 12.2(18)SXF2 or 12.2(18)SXF5 Modular, you should be fine. All the code for the WiSM is actually on the WiSM itself so the need for extra memory on the Sup to support it doesn't sound right.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

I agree with steprodr. 512MB should be standard on the 720, and I have several chassis with 512MB ram ruunning 4 WiSMs each without issue. The only memory requirement is whatever is required to run your IOS code 12.2(18)SXF, which 512 is more than enough for.

Do you have the part number they were quoting? Maybe they meant flash to store the new IOS?

-Eric

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Frans,

I've looked through my documentation, and I cannont find any reference to a minimum required memeory for the Sup to have a WiSM module installed. So long as you have a Sup720, and not a SupI/II/III, and are running 12.2(18)SXF2 or 12.2(18)SXF5 Modular, you should be fine. All the code for the WiSM is actually on the WiSM itself so the need for extra memory on the Sup to support it doesn't sound right.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I agree with steprodr. 512MB should be standard on the 720, and I have several chassis with 512MB ram ruunning 4 WiSMs each without issue. The only memory requirement is whatever is required to run your IOS code 12.2(18)SXF, which 512 is more than enough for.

Do you have the part number they were quoting? Maybe they meant flash to store the new IOS?

-Eric

Thanx Guys,

I figured as much, i guess they made an error Allready running " Version 12.2(18)SXF4"

Want the upgade later on for modular ios, but i can go ahead as planned then, as the "Zero dollar" parts are allways the hardest to come by. in this case the adapter to install flash in the dimm socket. :-)

Frans

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card