cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mesh point to point with 9124AXE or 9124AXD and port-channel

JohanL
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on the design of a point-to-point mesh link with two 9124 APs over a distance of 375 meter (enough ground clearance and free line of sight) with the requirement of 800 - 1000Mbit throughput, so roughly a factor 1.7 till 2 of wireless connection speed required.

The 9124D has a 9dBi internal directional antenna and has a 4x4 radio, but calculating on that AP gives me about -65dB on the receiver side (fade margin of 10dB) which doesn't result in a wireless connection of 1700Mbit or higher with 802.11ax on a 80MHz wide channel.

The 9124E with a 13dBi AIR-ANT2513 has a slighty lower TX power but the calculator gives me about -55dB on the receiver side, but with just two streams the throughput also won't be sufficient.

Anyone who can help me with the following questions?

-When using the mesh APs in transparent mode (as a 'wireless ethernet cable'), should we in theory be able to build a port-channel between the switches on both ends using two point-to-point links resulting in a combined throughput > 1Gbit/s? Anyone here who knows if that works or will latency over the wireless medium cause problems with the port-channel?

-Regarding the math for the link budgets: anyone who can educate me from experience (with the 9124 AP?) if my theory matches real-life here?

Regards,

Johan

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@JohanL wrote:
should we in theory be able to build a port-channel between the switches on both ends using two point-to-point links resulting in a combined throughput > 1Gbit/s? 

The PoE Input port of the 9124 is mGIG and can support up to 2.5 Gbps.

Thank you, I know that on the wired side the throughput isn't the problem, but regarding the link budget and the wireless point to point, any idea on that one?

(Sorry for the late reply, I just received the notification. )

No, not possible.

Connect the 9124 to an mGIG-capable port and enjoy 2.5 Gbps.

That would be the best option. Due to the physical distance (described in the topic start) I am afraid we do not get to speeds close to 1Gig net. But any judgement on the calculations would be appreciated!

When you say port-channel do you actually mean combining multiple parallel wireless bridges and combining them to aggregate throughput?
In which case I don't think it's possible.

Yes, in that way. Thank you for the reply!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card