Views
Helpful
Replies

Microsoft Surface wifi clients on C9800LC / C9115AXI-B APs

MauryJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have been using a C9800L with the 9115 APs for about a year now and it has generally been a good experience.   Recently, some of our users have been issued new Microsoft Surface laptops, using the Intel WiFi6 AX201 160Mhz adapter.   At least two of these users are experiencing frequent wifi disconnects, sometimes while sitting stationary, and sometimes while moving around different areas.   And the clients don't automatically reconnect to the wifi.

I am collecting traces for these clients in anticipation of needing to open a TAC case, but, I wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else has seen similar behavior with these PCs.     

One thing we tried is disabling 802.1ax on these machines (limiting to 802.1ac), but, we still saw the same behavior.    And its only the newer Surface laptops that are having the issue, which is a minority of our wireless clients.   The network is using WPA2-Enterprise and MS PEAP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@MauryJ wrote:
We have been using a C9800L with the 9115 APs for about a year now and it has generally been a good experience.   Recently, some of our users have been issued new Microsoft Surface laptops, using the Intel WiFi6 AX201 160Mhz adapter.

This is a known bug with the wireless NIC drivers which affects Realtek RTL88xx and Intel AX2xx.

For Realtek RTL88xx, the wireless NIC driver should be, at a minimum, 6001.10.352.0 (and later).  Refer to CSCwf03870

For Intel-based AX2xx, the wireless NIC drivers should be 22.200.2.1 (and later) or 22.220.0.0 (and later).  Refer to CSCwe50033

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

1) Make sure the wireless drivers on the involved devices are up to date
   2) You can do client debugging indeed according to https://logadvisor.cisco.com/logadvisor/wireless/9800/9800ClientConnectivity , you can have Radio Active traces processed and analyzed with : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-debug-analyzer
   3) Have a checkup review of the C9800L configuration with the CLI command : show tech wireless , feed the output into : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer , this probably does not relate to the (initial) problem but it remains useful to do in many cases , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As Marce said there are numerous known major issues with the Intel drivers so step number 1 is to make sure the drivers are fully up to date:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

You didn't mention what version of software you're running on the 9800-L - refer to TAC recommended versions below and make sure you're up to date.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try configuring only 20- or 40 Mhz channel bonding. 

Please confirm the issue is affecting only Intel-based wireless NIC and is also affecting RealTek wireless NIC.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@MauryJ wrote:
We have been using a C9800L with the 9115 APs for about a year now and it has generally been a good experience.   Recently, some of our users have been issued new Microsoft Surface laptops, using the Intel WiFi6 AX201 160Mhz adapter.

This is a known bug with the wireless NIC drivers which affects Realtek RTL88xx and Intel AX2xx.

For Realtek RTL88xx, the wireless NIC driver should be, at a minimum, 6001.10.352.0 (and later).  Refer to CSCwf03870

For Intel-based AX2xx, the wireless NIC drivers should be 22.200.2.1 (and later) or 22.220.0.0 (and later).  Refer to CSCwe50033

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card