Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating 9120 EWC to 9800 WLC

numan.ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I am in the middle of a WLAN Project and the main task is to migrate EWC to 9800 WLC, is there anyone in the community who has successfully carried out this implementation.

The EWC and the WAPs (all 9120s) are on 17.8.1 and the 9800 is on 17.3.4c, so the code will need to downgrade. 

When we apply the settings on the EWC in the 'Migrate Network' window (both the EWC & 9800 will be on the same subnet but different IP), is there any other task to perform please

Cheers

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is not major task, i will create offline Cat 9800 same as EWC setup and cut over and test it.

other option ( from WEC show run and get the config on cat 9800)

I only come across this tool :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/wlc-config-converter-aireos-ios-xe/td-p/2895495

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

Thank you for your response, if you could try let me know of the outcome of your test that would be appreciated.

'If this is not major task, i will create offline Cat 9800 same as EWC setup and cut over and test it.

other option ( from WEC show run and get the config on cat 9800)

@Arshad Safrulla beat me with the steps..he is bit ahead of me...so i would follow his suggestions and let us know outcome.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... and the 9800 is on 17.3.4c, so the code will need to downgrade. 

- Why don't you upgrade the 9800 first to the same release as the EWC is running ? It is not always advisable to have the two  controllers on the same subnet as it can confuse access points where to join (same broadcast domain). You could prepare the 9800 more offline, and or simply copy the (XE) running config from the EWC to an external repository , make some changes where evident changes are due such as SP (management) IP address and or SVI definitions , if needed and load onto the 9800   Whatever method is being used before taking the 9800 into production review it's configuration-ready-state  first with the CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories!

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi Marce1000,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately the code part is locked down in our companies software currency but I can look into with our Architects.

My plan is to prepare the 9800 config offline matching the various policies/tags which will be identical.

But if your recommendation is put the 9800 on a separate subnet then that should not be a problem, I will try that. 

- Ok , in any case I repeat this procedure again which I strongly advice when you are ready with the 9800 configuration (just before going online with it , because WirelessAnalyzer is very useful Start with  CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories!

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First you need to make sure that the EWC and 9800WLC WMI Interfaces are in different subnets, otherwise this will create havoc in your network.

Migration should be pretty much easy if you know all the nuances of 9800 like how the profiles and tags work etc. At high level mi advise will be as below.

1. Get a show run from the EWC.

2. Upgrade the 9800 to latest Cisco TAC recommended code considering the AP models you have. If you have any older Wave1 AP's you need to stick to 17.3.X codes otherwise you can consider upgrading to 17.6.X codes. If you have any 6E AP's consider running 17.9.X.https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/214749-tac-recommended-ios-xe-builds-for-wirele.html

3. Configure the 9800 WLC's basic configuration (Interfaces, WMI, SSH, HTTP etc.) as per Cisco recommended best practices. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/guide-c07-743627.html

4. Now open the running config from EWC in notepad and start moving profile, tag and other wireless configuration to new 9800 WLC. By default, EWC supports only Flexconnect AP's , but 9800 supports both Flex and local mode AP's. So incase if you are considering a design change you need to re-configure certain policies and tags. Generally, I recommend reconfiguring the new 9800 from the scratch as this gives you more granular control over the profile and tag configuration. 

Hi Arshad,

Thank you for your reply and recommendations, I will try and see and update the community on my progress

Rich R
VIP
VIP

@marce1000 and @Arshad Safrulla  have already said but I'll say it again to make sure it's clear:
DO NOT put the EWC and 9800 on the same subnet.  This is NOT supported by Cisco (in fact specifically warned against) and will cause problems.

numan.ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Many thanks for your replies, I have successfully migrated the EWC network to the 9800 WLC on the same the same subnet, this has been stable for over a month (hence the late reply).

We had to upgrade the code on the 9800 to a stable release of 17.6.4

-  Note it is now very useful to execute this procedure again on the 9800 after the migration to get some 'final advisories' , however you can for instance also do that every 2 months because it may then give (new) advisories according to the changed RF environment (e.g.)  Start with  CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.            

M.

numan.ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

I have another EWC to 9800 Migration coming, but this site will have dual 9800 for HA so will update in this chain any future updates

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card