cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

minimum good -dbm for site survey?

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

i need to do a site survey for a warehouse to cover weak spots , my question is what is the minimum very good -dbm for the ssid where at the point it  start deteriorating i know i need to add a new ap to cover this spot? -40 dbm? -50 dbm?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Having done a lot of warehouse designs this really depends on the device requirements. 

Some of the devices can be 10 or more dBm different from the survey equipment (sidekick/ dongles) so you need to make sure that you look at what their requirements are.

Some devices will also have the ability to tune what dBm they start to look at roaming which is always best to look at that as well to ensure they are optimised for the wireless design.

Normally I design for -67dB but from the most significant least capable device point of view. I have also found that in the warehouse environment that utilising 5GHz if you can have a huge improvement. 

If allowed also look at using directional antennas rather than Omni's

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

In a general deployment trying to keep -67dBm at cell edge. Assuming typical noise floor (~ -92dBm), you will get 25dB SNR, higher the SNR is better.

Even if you use site survey tool, it is important to check this RSSI value on devices that use in that environment (as RSSI value is relative to device you use, cannot compare different type of devices)

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

so on my survey tool as soon as the signal strength go higher than 67-dbm i know this area have a weak signal and need to be covered?

What are the wireless devices customer use in that warehouse environment. I would check RSSI value on that device when your survey tool shows -67dBm.

What you really look for is actual device RSSI value (for example when your suvery tool WiFi NIC will show -67dBm, where as actual device show -73dBm). In that example it is 6dB difference and you have to get cell edge to -61dBm if you are survey given survey tool

Here is a good post to refer

http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2014/10/survey-for-your-wifi-clients.html 

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

what is RSSI and how do i find it out?

Just search Wireless Site Survey Best Practice” you should find more than enough info on that and what you searched for.
-Scott

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Having done a lot of warehouse designs this really depends on the device requirements. 

Some of the devices can be 10 or more dBm different from the survey equipment (sidekick/ dongles) so you need to make sure that you look at what their requirements are.

Some devices will also have the ability to tune what dBm they start to look at roaming which is always best to look at that as well to ensure they are optimised for the wireless design.

Normally I design for -67dB but from the most significant least capable device point of view. I have also found that in the warehouse environment that utilising 5GHz if you can have a huge improvement. 

If allowed also look at using directional antennas rather than Omni's

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Edu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.
So, I like to use these configurations.
Signal -67 dBm
SNR 25 dB
Data Rate = depends on what kind of application that you will use.

One characteristic of the most part the warehouses is, to use a directional antenna.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: