Views
Helpful
Replies

mixed MESH

wirelessman
Level 1
Level 1

Mesh questions:

1. Can mesh work between and outdoor ap and and indoor ap? Which code to use?

2. Are there different codes for indoor mesh and outdoor mesh?

3. If oudoor and indoor mesh is required, do i need separate controllers for each mesh?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Years ago 4.1 code, cisco has a MESH code. Today, the current code supports both "regular" wireless operations and MESH operations. But, there is no indoor or outdoor code. You may find reference to indoor aps and outdoor aps.

Yes, it should work. If you have a indoor ap and outdoor 1500 ap and they are both in bridge mode they will connect. Signal wise. I have seen them connect as low as -85.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There is no difference between indoor and outdoor mesh they are one and the same.

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

George is right... no difference.... Here is a link you can reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080b1c101.shtml#indoorvsoutdoor

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

was reading the same linked doc and got confused about this:

Indoor Mesh Software

Indoor Mesh Software is a special release as it concentrates on  the indoor APs, especially indoor mesh. In this release, we have both the Indoor  APs working in Local mode and also in bridge mode

so, if there's an indoor mesh software, there must be an outdoor mesh software. and now, i know the answer.

thanks, experts!!!

So, if code 7.4 is used, will there be issues with/between indoor and outdoor mesh?

can i just put one 1131 inside a house, near a window where it has line of sight with a 1522 ap hangin' outside on a light post and,,,  mesh will still work in this scenario? with this, i can rule out ehternet bridging and avoid the need for a switch on the remote sites.

if there is no line of sight between the outdoor and the indoor ap, what is the acceptable signal strength for the indoor ap to participate in the mesh network? is it even possible to mesh an outdoor ap and an indoor ap together without line of sight? how much should the signal strength be?

Years ago 4.1 code, cisco has a MESH code. Today, the current code supports both "regular" wireless operations and MESH operations. But, there is no indoor or outdoor code. You may find reference to indoor aps and outdoor aps.

Yes, it should work. If you have a indoor ap and outdoor 1500 ap and they are both in bridge mode they will connect. Signal wise. I have seen them connect as low as -85.

Thank you, George!

Now, to the LAB Cave!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card