cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express Blues

smoores
Level 1
Level 1

I'm replacing 5 Cisco 1242 APs with 1852i using Mobility Express. Some of our SSIDs use a 256 bit key (e.g. 64 hex digits) and this is necessary these days in the age of oclHastcat and it's GPU acceleration.

The Mobility express system wants me to enter up to 34 ASCII characters for the WPA2-PSK key and won't accept 64 hex digits.

We haven't had a problem with any device not allowing you to enter a full length key before (even my Kindle Paperwhite is fine with it). If the Express GUI won't let me do it, is there any way to configure it using the serial console?

Any insight appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If security is a concern, why not change to something like WPA2-Enterprise mode, and link it in with a local directory, like Active Directory?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If security is a concern, why not change to something like WPA2-Enterprise mode, and link it in with a local directory, like Active Directory?

We certainly considered that Philip but we have a less computer literate user community than most and it's felt that there are a lot of very weak domain passwords out there.  We also have an SSID that is used for voice only (with Cisco Wifi handsets) and so we have a lot of handsets to reprogram if we can't use a full length WPA key.

I'm really not used to configuring things from a GUI and prefer the command line. I'm wondering if it is possible to program it with the command line?

I've never tried with the 1852's.  They are very new.  I guess you can try doing a telnet/ssh to it and see what happens.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card