Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express: Disable AP monitor mode

aironetlap
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have a few Aironet 3802I running the latest ME code. The 3802i has two radios: an XOR radio and a 5Ghz radio. One of the access points shows monitor mode + 5Ghz. How can I prevent the access point from entering monitoring mode?

Many thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank you. Yeah, you need to choose netween 2.4 radio or 5.0 radio if you dont want Monitor. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

@aironetlap 

Configure the AP as AP only.

FlavioMiranda_0-1729717390588.png

Thanks for your response, Flavio. I am wondering if this option may only force the AP to be a subordinary node in the ME cluster, instead of as a hot standby controller + AP. 

Many thanks!

I just checked the status of that AP, it already shows "AP only".

I dont have access to a ME right now , can you check the other options. I know that in WLC AirOS or IOX-XE based, we can fix the AP mode for AP or Monitor. I believe this is possible in ME also.

Thanks Flavio. I can lock the XOR radio to one of these: monitor, 2.4G, 5G, but I cannot only disable the monitor mode.

Got it. I believe if you lock to 2.4 or 5.0 it will not be a monitor. Did you try it?

aironetlap
Level 1
Level 1

Screenshot 2024-10-23 at 22.25.48.png

Thank you. Yeah, you need to choose netween 2.4 radio or 5.0 radio if you dont want Monitor. 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/88/best_practices/b_ME_Best_Practices_Guide_88/rf-management.html#rfmg-fra-enabled
Turn off FRA to stop the controller from changing the radio mode automatically.  This will not revert any that were already changed by FRA.  To revert all APs to default from CLI: 

config advanced fra revert all auto

The original document on FRA: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_RRM_White_Paper/fra.html
Not all commands may be available on Mobility Express.

Thank you for your response @Rich R . I think it might be a design issue with the ME firmware. If the FRA feature has been disabled, I need to manually specify the XOR radio to be 2.4G or 5G instead of making the "monitor mode" excluded from the XOR options.

Quite possibly. You did not mention what software version you're using - presume you're on latest 8.10.196.0 to ensure that all possible bug fixes and enhancements are applied?

Yeah, they run 8.10.196.0. Unfortunately, this might be the last release as it was announced as end-of-life. The software is quite buggy in my opinion, recently it reports hundreds of Tbps traffic volume via SNMP.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes 8.10.196.0 is likely to be the last main release as AireOS is end of life now.
There's a small chance there might be some rebuilds if there are any critical security vulnerabilities but there won't be any more routine bug fixes.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card