Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobility Express member AP strange broadcasting problem

flanger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone.

I have set up three access points 2x AIR-AP3802I-B-K9 and AIR-CAP3702I-A-K9 running 8.10.180.5 with one 3802i acting as ME controller + ap, while others are lightweight members. They're also members of the same AP group with single SSID.

Both 3802i APs are working as expected, when I roam from one's location to another, my Samsung android phone reconnects automatically without a problem, but when I get close to 3702i phone can't find either 2.4GHz or 5GHz. I've tried two individual SSIDs for each band but still phones can not detect any, no matter what channel width and combinations I try. What's even more strange, if I do the same with notebook then there is no problem, it reconnects seamlessly. And if I switch 3702i to autonomous image and set it up as a standalone unit, then both bands work just fine for phones as well.

"AP type" for all three APs is indicated as FlexConnect with vlan mode enabled and they're all wired to the same switch. I've run out of ideas how to troubleshoot further.

AP Name                         Slots  AP Model              Ethernet MAC       Location              Country     IP Address       Clients  DSE Location  
------------------------------  -----  --------------------  -----------------  --------------------  ----------  ---------------  -------  --------------
*AP_3802_1                3      AIR-AP3802I-B-K9       28:6f:7f:06:b8:00  Room1              US          10.1.2.5         0        [0 ,0 ,0 ]
AP_3802_2                3      AIR-AP3802I-B-K9       00:81:c4:24:0e:32  Room2               US          10.1.2.6       1        [0 ,0 ,0 ]
AP_3702i                 2      AIR-CAP3702I-A-K9      18:8b:9d:bc:0e:1c  Room3               US          10.1.2.7       0        [0 ,0 ,0 ]
(Cisco Controller) >show advanced 802.11a summary  

Member RRM Information
AP Name                          MAC Address       Slot Admin    Oper        Channel            TxPower       BSS Color
-------------------------------- ----------------- ---- -------- ----------- ------------------ ------------- ----------
AP_3802_1                 08:96:ad:da:42:c0  1   ENABLED  UP          (120,116)          *1/7 (18 dBm) N/A      
AP_3802_2                 00:2a:10:83:73:10  1   ENABLED  UP          (64,60)            *1/7 (20 dBm) N/A      
AP_3702i                  18:8b:9d:dd:a8:b0  1   ENABLED  UP          (52,56)            *1/6 (17 dBm) N/A      

* global assignment

(Cisco Controller) >show advanced 802.11b summary

Member RRM Information
AP Name                          MAC Address       Slot Admin    Oper        Channel            TxPower       BSS Color
-------------------------------- ----------------- ---- -------- ----------- ------------------ ------------- ---------
AP_3802_1                 08:96:ad:da:42:c0  0   ENABLED  UP          1                  *1/8 (23 dBm) N/A      
AP_3802_2                 00:2a:10:83:73:10  0   ENABLED  UP          6                  *1/8 (23 dBm) N/A      
AP_3702i                  18:8b:9d:dd:a8:b0  0   ENABLED  UP          11                 *1/8 (23 dBm) N/A      

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Start with a checkup of the ME controller's configuration using WirelessAnalyzer input (procedure) for AireOs controllers
                                                                                  and feed the output into Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Start with a checkup of the ME controller's configuration using WirelessAnalyzer input (procedure) for AireOs controllers
                                                                                  and feed the output into Wireless Config Analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

flanger
Level 1
Level 1

Overall WCA liked my configuration and I had near 100% score in best practices, but it reported an error: Controller is running deferred or not recommended code and should be upgraded. Now this is very interesting, since the very same version is a suggested release at software download portal...

After upgrading to 8.10.190.0 the problem got resolved without any further configuration changes. I just can't believe it, been sifting through client debugs for several days frying my mind over this!

Thanks a lot.

the very same version is a suggested release at software download portal...
I don't think you'll find 8.10.180.5 anywhere on Cisco download pages so I suspect you meant 8.10.185.0?

As I have pointed out a number of times before: you should be careful about looking at the gold star marked releases on the download pages - they're not very good at keeping them updated.  Your first reference should always be the TAC recommended releases - link below.

Correct, it was 8.10.185.0. 

Actually the problem came back bit later and after poking more, I think it was WPA3 causing problems for my android devices within range of 3702i. Once I've turned it off, then the problem went away. Roaming is not as fast as on windows based notebook, but it works now. Guess that's a client decision and nothing more I can do about it (802.11k,r,v are all enabled). Interestingly this problem happens only with 3700 series AP.

Another thing worth mentioning, when I would forget network and attempt to connect to id via 3700, it would never pop up PSK prompt on my phone and I saw absolutely nothing in debug for that client mac on controller, not even a connection attempt.

@Rich R wrote:

As I have pointed out a number of times before: you should be careful about looking at the gold star marked releases on the download pages - they're not very good at keeping them updated.  Your first reference should always be the TAC recommended releases

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. This is my first encounter with Cisco WLC, used to have this 3702i configured as standalone autonomous unit and it worked just fine.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card