Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring standby in HA

sridhar ch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have recently deployed 9800-40 WLC in HA. i was able to monitor active using RMI IP. But when i try to monitor standby using the same SNMP and RMI IP of standby, its not working. SNMP is getting timeout. Opened a ticket with monitoring tool vendor, he asked me to increase the timeout value which i did with no success. can you tell me how do i monitor standby?

Thanks,

Sridhar

5 Replies 5

henryhardy
Level 1
Level 1

I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article.

Hi

Which WLC model are you taking about?  AirOS wlc like 8540 for example, doesn´t allow monitor the standby WLC. I had this problem already. Actually, if you have Cisco Prime you may see some logs if samething happens with standby WLC but it will not like monitory the primary.

The reason is simple. The active WLC will answer on the VIP address, which means, any request sent to the cluster will be responded by active and not standby.  Second, when SSO is enabled, there is no SNMP/GUI access on the service port for both the WLCs in the HA setup.

Model is 9800-40. Its running 17.3.4c IOS. 

Hi

You wrote above the model, sorry asking again. Then, 9800 is possible.  9800 is different from olders AirOS.

To monitor a standby WLC in High Availability cluster is only possible from the release 17.5.1.

Take a look on the documentation.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/217460-monitor-catalyst-9800-wlc-via-snmp-with.html#anc18 

excellent, thx for the documentation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card