Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast with WLC not forwarding

Chris Campbell
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

I have a WLC 2106 that I am using for learning purposes.  Yes, I know it's obsolete.  It's running version 7.0.252.0.  

I am trying to understand why multicast does not work between the wireline and wireless networks, or even between two wireless devices.  If I open wireshark while connected to the wireless network, I see multicast BJNP (Bonjour) packets coming from my computer, but no other packets show up.  If I plug in with a cable, I see all the multicast packets coming through, and Bonjour devices are discoverable.

The wireless SSID is using the same subnet as the wireline network and is in the same VLAN.  I have broadcast forwarding turned on in the WLC's controller settings.  Also, since this is a 2106, the multicast -> unicast option is not available.

The APs join a multicast group under Monitor -> Multicast, so that seems to be working. 

Where could the multicast dropping be happening?

1 Reply 1

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chris

For multicast to flow from the wired to wireless network you need to make sure of the following:

Multicast is enabled on the controller globally.

Controller > Multicast > Enable Global Multicast Mode

Suggest to also enable IGMP and MLD Snooping

If you also need to make sure you have multicast enabled on the wired side as well.

As you are talking about Bonjour you also need to enable mDNS Global Snooping

Good reference guide here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1100-series-access-point/113443-cuwn-apple-bonjour-dg-00.html

hope this helps

Haydn

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card