cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple AP Groups

skelley5000
Level 1
Level 1

I have and will have more multiple sites that are separate offices and will be using HREAP to each location. Each site like I said will be separate but will have the same SSID. I am assuming I will need separate AP groups, virtural interfaces and WLANS for each site?

20 Replies 20

If your doing central switching, then your wlan ssid will be tunneled back to the wlc and be placed on vlan 111.  The AP's should be on a different vlan, so you have the ap's in each site on vlan 110, that should be fine.  This can be an access port vlan 110, since you are not doing any local switching.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

If I create an interface, create a WLAN but don't create an AP group.how does the AP know how to broadcast the correct SSID in H-REAP mode. If the AP is in H-REAP mode, set to the correct VLAN....

The ap would be in the default-ap group.  That will have all your ssid's that you have configured.

-Scott

Ok I gotcha ya now, but the problem is each site will be assigned a different VLAN but the same SSID. So an interface will be created for each site with the correct VLAN and then assigned to the approiate AP group? the remote sites will not broadcast what is in the default group.

It doesn't matter if you use ap groups or not.... AP Groups allow you to define what ssids will be available on which AP.  So if you have two ssids, ssid1 for internal and ssid2 for guest, you can just use the default-group.  You define in the flexconnect ap, what wlan will be mapped to what vlan at the remote site, when local switching is enabled.  If local switching isn't enabled for that wlan ssid, then all traffic gets tunneled back to the WLC.

-Scott

Ok so if I had 2 sites, both sites used the same SSID but different VLAN;s central authenication. Could I use the same AP group? would the SSID broadcast twice at each location?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card