Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple ports on Virtual Wireless Controller

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have installed a Virtual Wireless Controller (version 8.3) on ESXi and I am working with the setup. I have a question abount ports and VLANS. Now the controller has only one port, the management-interface is connected to this port. But now I want to configure multiple SSIDs and connect these SSIDs to different VLANS.

To do this I have connected interfaces for the diffrent VLANS to the Controller-VM on ESXi and I expected to see these interfaces as ports on the vWLC, but I still see only one port on the vWLC. How can I see the interfaces connected from ESXs as ports on the vWLC and then map new interfaces on the vWLC to these ports?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You may not need LAG on the vWLC side. At least I do not have it in my setup and it works. 

All you need to do for setting up the trunk to vWLC is create new port group in ESXi vSwitch and set VLAN ID for that port group to be 4095. Setting it to be 4095 simply makes it a trunk and vSwitch will forward VLAN tags to your vWLC. 

Thank you,

Mikolaj

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi,

You need to work with trunk. Enable LAG on the WLC side, CINTROLLER tab and configure trunk on the vswitch on the ESXi. Then, you can segment you SSIDs per VLAN.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi and thanks for your answer!

I am not sure if I understand this correct. On ESXi I have a vSwitch with multipe VM-networks (VLANS), as shown. The management-network is assigned to the vWLC, but I also want to assign other networks to the vWLC and map different interfaces on vWLC to these networks. Is this not possible?

net.JPG

It is. Thats why I say you need trunk between WLC and vSwitch.

Can you explain how to create this trunk between vWLC and ESXi?

On the WLC side you just need to put it in LAG mode. Go to CONTROLLER tab and enable it. 

On the ESXi side you can find some guide on the internet.

Hi,

You may not need LAG on the vWLC side. At least I do not have it in my setup and it works. 

All you need to do for setting up the trunk to vWLC is create new port group in ESXi vSwitch and set VLAN ID for that port group to be 4095. Setting it to be 4095 simply makes it a trunk and vSwitch will forward VLAN tags to your vWLC. 

Thank you,

Mikolaj

Funciona, gracias.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card