cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VLANs on one SSID: how does this actually work?

gglynn
Level 1
Level 1

I'm familiar with the procedure for bridging multiple VLANs between two Aironet bridges (e.g. 1300 series) over a single SSID, but I have no idea how it works, and that really bugs me.

Since frame tagging a la 802.1q isn't part of the WiFi protocols (at least I don't think it is), how do the bridges differentiate traffic in the 802.11 packets? Is there some Cisco-proprietary extension of the standards to support 802.1q tags in the 802.11 headers? Or is it something else?

17 Replies 17

The thing that makes the bridging proprietary is not the frame or headers, it's (usually) the timing.

If you really have to see it with your own eyeballs, load up a copy of WireShark (www.wireshark.org)with WinPcap (http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.wiretapped.net/pub/security/packet-capture/winpcap)

- both are free - and capture a stream; you'll see every byte of detail for all levels communicated.

And, for future reference, nobody here gets paid to answer your questions; if you get snippy and start demanding, I can pretty much guarantee crickets back atcha.

Your question was answered.

"Have a nice day"

Scott

Hi Bill,

I just realised that I didn't also rate your great work with trying to explain this. 5 points for going the extra mile here :)

Take care,

Rob

He didn't answer the question, though. Can someone else answer the question I actually asked? Here it is again, reworked slightly to make it clearer:

Since VLAN tagging a la 802.1q isn't part of the WiFi protocols, how do Aironet 1300 series bridges differentiate traffic from different VLANs (tagged by 802.1q on the wire) when they're bridged over a single SSID? Is there some Cisco-proprietary extension of the standards to support 802.1q tags in the 802.11 headers, or are the 802.1q packets encapsulated completely within 802.11 packets, perhaps?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card