Views
Helpful
Replies

New 1852E AP Doesn't attempt to join Mobility Express

jon.bennett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I ordered a new 1852E AP but the supplier made a mistake and didn't supply the 'C' configurable model. I changed the AP to Mobility Express by following this article https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/mobility-express-aironet-access-points/215410-convert-capwap-1852-access-point-ap-to.html

The change to Mobility Express went without a problem.

I want to add this AP to an existing Mobility Express system but when this new AP boots up it does not attempt to join the existing Mobility Express system, instead it boots to the start wizard as though it is the first AP and I am configuring Mobility Express for the first time.

My question is have I done something wrong? I want this AP to join the existing system.

I have ran debug capwap detail enable on the Mobility Express controller but it sees no join request from my new AP.

The new AP gets an IP Address from my DHCP server, both the Mobility Express controller and this new AP are on the same subnet, no routing involved.

I'm thinking that I'm missing something obvious here but don't know what.

Any help appreciated.

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-      On the AP try : ap-type capwap

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

If you want the AP to join an existing ME controller, you dont need to convert your AP to ME. Running capwap mode will suffice. Since you have already converted please covert it back to capwap mode. @marce1000 has provided the command.

Also in ME, you need to have both AP and ME WLC in the same broadcast domain. Also make sure that the NTP is configured in the WLC and synced. If you find it still not joining, you may connect a console cable to this AP in question and post the output here.

Hi,
Many thanks for the feedback.
Converting the AP to lightweight will not allow it to become the controller if the designated controller AP fails...this is why I want it to run the ME express image. It seems like what I want to do is quite straight forward which is why I think I may be missing a trick.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

This guide looks quite good https://www.wiresandwi.fi/blog/cisco-mobility-express-ha-controller-configuration try following those steps?

Hi,
Many thanks for this...that would work but again it seems like rather a convoluted way of doing something that, on the face of it, seems straight forward. The whole idea behind Mobility Express is that it's quick and easy to configure...seems reality is far from that.
It's also becoming apparent that very few people are using it...the masses must have opted for the dedicated WLC appliance with lightweight firmware AP's.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

ME has never been a great success as far as I can tell.  The IOS-XE equivalent for the newer Catalyst APs (EWC for AP) is a much better product and also license free so suggest you consider that if you're not happy with ME.

Once you have ME setup it should keep working but it is a very cut down version of AireOS whereas EWC is a more fully featured version of IOS-XE WLC.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-o6-embded-wrls-cont-ds-cte-en.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/q-and-a-c67-743152.html

You could also consider the 9800-CL virtual WLC.

jon.bennett
Level 1
Level 1

I managed to get what I wanted in the end...I couldn't exactly follow the guide linked to by @Rich R as my firmware is behind and doesn't have certain options in the browser interface (long story, I'm mimicking a customer setup). For anyone else who is ever stuck here is the convoluted process I followed:

• Factory default and configure new 1852 AP. Easiest to do initial config via serial port and PuTTY. Ensure that the following parameters match the existing ME setup - Admin User and Password, System Name, Country, Time Zone, Management IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway
  • New AP will then reboot and will likely assume the role of controller causing existing controller AP to reboot and join as a subordinate
  • Access Management IP Address via browser and force previous controller AP to be controller again, wait for new AP to reboot and join system
  • Amend config of new AP e.g. IP details, AP Name, Radio Power, Channel etc...
  • Open a session to Management IP Address via Telnet or access command line interface via console cable and PuTTY
  • Configure SSH access on new AP (allows config and authorized keys to sync, may not be required on more recent firmware) 
      1. Open Telnet to management IP Address
      2. Create user on AP(s) for login *Note, AP will not allow login details of Mobility Express to be used

config ap mgmtuser add username <admin> password <Admin123> secret <Admin123> <AP name or all>

1. First try enabling SSH at global level with command config ap ssh enable all
      2. show ap config global should show "AP SSH Settings" as "Globally Configured (Enabled)

If SSH does not work then enable on a per AP basis
config ap ssh enable <AP name >
show ap config general <AP name> should show "Ssh state" as "Specifically Enabled"

• Push config to new AP and check for success
test ap-sync push config <AP name>

test ap-sync push authorized-keys <AP name>

test ap-sync status <AP name>

Certainly harder than it should have been but it's all working now, thanks all.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card