cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Wireless location EAP-TLS wireless doesn't work but PEAP does.

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We have deployed a new site and are having issues with the EAP-TLS.  We use the same profiles for each of our locations and there is no difference between this location and others.  PEAP authentications are working without issue but EAP-TLS (profile that works at other locations) ISE shows the Supplicant abandoned the session and started a new one.  I have a TAC case started but we have not made any progress.  Wired EAP-TLS works as well.  The setup and WLAN's are the same across all locations, I have a good capture and a bad capture and it appears the difference is the supplicant never provides the certificate for authentication. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

See attached screenshots:

Thanks,

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We were able to resolved this issue by enabling tunnel path-mtu-discovery on the GRE tunnel and "enabling" ip unreachables.

Thanks,

Joe

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Few questions:

• Same WLC at each location or new WLC?
  • PEAP from same SSID is working?
  • Has a working device from one location been tested at the non working location?
  • Which supplicant are you using? The OS one, or a 3rd party. 
*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes to all your questions and using native windows 10 supplicant.

Ensure that the WLAN AutoConfig service is started on the client
*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

WLAN Autoconfig is set to Automatic and is in a Running state.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Your print shot points to supplicant issue, client cert is sent once the server cert is validated, in failed case it’s not being sent, make sure the CA that signed server cert is in trusted certificate store of client, Try disabling server cert check in supplicant config, Try reprovisioning client with eap-tls again … to start with. 

-hope this helps-

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

Any suggestions, TAC can't figure it out and we are still struggling.

Thanks,

Joe

EAP-TLS is a standard protocol, based on your printshot last I saw was client was not sending certificate, is it still stuck at the same stage or any additional progress is made, if you are stuck at the same stage and all configuration is correctly verified by TAC then upgrade adapter firmware, try anyconnect supplicant, try different wireless adapter...

-hope this helps-

PEAP message exchange.PNG

Client Cert. is not available in Host when connect to WLC/AP

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

We are still in the same state, same user can plug directly into the switch located at the site and they authenticate successfully.  TAC has said it is a fragmentation issue.  Would that fragmentation not occur on the LAN side as well?

Thanks,

Joe

Yes one reason is the fragment of Server Cert., and hence the client can not defragment the Cert.
can you check the MTU between AP and WLC?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yep that's what I was about to suggest.  CAPWAP encapsulation imposes additional limits on the packet size so my bet is also on fragmentation somewhere.  There must be something different in your transport between the AP and WLC at this site (what is between them?).  Have you configured the recommended TCP MSS adjust value of 1250?  For that matter what model of WLC are you using and what version of software?

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

Update:

We have sent a 3802 to the location and EAP-TLS is working as expected.  I have sent this information to Cisco but not sure if anyone else has noticed anything similiar.

Thanks,

Joe

Rich R
VIP
VIP

We have sent a 3802 to the location and EAP-TLS is working as expected

Implying that where it's not working is on a different model of AP? So which model does not work?  And you're sure the config of both APs is identical?  What version of software are you using?

joeharb
Level 5
Level 5

The original AP's are 9120's.  We are using Tags for the AP's via a Regex Filter, so if the AP name starts with "Alpha" it inherits the same policy.  WLC is running 17.06.01.  I might have spoke to soon as it appears that when the client needed to reauthenticate (1800 seconds) they are now unable to authenticate again.  From ISE I see the authentication coming from the switch not the WLC, which is different than the previous passed authentications.  I am not sure I have noticed this in the past.

Please see attached screenshot.

This shows the end user attempting to connect but the failed ones are coming from 10.64.0.2 (switch) and the interface that the AP is connected to gi1/0/14.  The ones that show 10.31.6.131 work find and that is the address of the WLC.

Thanks,

Joe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card