Helpful
Replies

number of users per Access point

johnramz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community:

Two questions about planning wireless setup:

1- Is there a resource/whitepaper from CISCO that recpmmends the number of users per Access point ? I figure the model should also be taken into account.

2- Any recommended tool to plan the location of the Access point in a building ?

Thanks

Juan

1 Accepted Solution
8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The rule of thumb is 25 devices per ap and it depends on the application being used on the wireless.  Video you might be only able to get 4-6 users and if its just email and web traffic you might be able to have 40-50.  Wireless is half duplex, so since its shared, the more devices, the less available throughput per device.

I use AirMagnet to perform a site survey so I know the optimum location that AP's need to be placed.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Search the forum for max number of users per ap and you will find many threads...

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott,

I see your ration 20-25 per AP referenced in other answered questions, however I could not find anyone citing/quoting a CISCO documentation that supports this.

Do you know of any source that documents this rule of the thumb?

Thanks

Juan

Scott,

I wish there would be a more up-to-date source and even considering "g" and "n" but you are very responsive and insightful . I will mark one of your replies as "Correct Answer" because it is.

Juan

Its still the same... and its more of users like us out there that have experienced what works and what doesn't.  Cisco will state that you can have up to 200 clients per radio, which is the limit, but it all comes down to what the customer is going to be doing with the wireless.... I have had installs with 802.11N access points and had a requirement of 4GB of data to be transferred via FTP within 30 minutes and we could only get 4 devices to transfer at the same time to accomplish the requirement.  So you have to look at the amount of throughput you want clients to have also.  You don't give enough, they complain, so again... how much do your users complain:)

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Scott,

Thanks again for your responsiveness and insight. Very tru what you are saying. It depends on the type of use and the users

Would you mind taking a look a this other question I posted under the same "getting started ..." forum.?

It is labeled:

Design question: Access points and controller Logical/Physical placement

Thanks

Juan

Sure...

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card