Views
Helpful
Replies

OEAP RLAN authentication with ISE question

Roberto.Carmona
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

I have a customer that wants to configure their RLAN ports for their OEAPs (600 APs) and acomplish the following: Have an IPhone connected to port 4 and a laptop connected to the Ip Phone. The radius server that will be configured for this setup is Cisco ISE.

• Can the RLAN port offer a dedicated voice vlan for the phone and a data vlan for the computer using ISE. Similiar use case as with a cisco Access switch (multi domain)?
  • Or is it a best practice to enable the second RLAN port (port 3) and have it dedicated for Data?
  • My understanding is that OEAP does not support CoA.

Any feedback is very appreciated.

Regards,

5 Replies 5

d.friday
Level 4
Level 4

The Cisco OEAP AP's do not support more then one VLAN per RLAN port so you need to configure 1 VLAN per port.

Don't forget the OEAP only has 1 active port configured to use the additional port you need to run 

Config network oeap-600 dual-rlan-ports enable  ***** run from command line

Thanks

I was aware of the command to enable the second port. So good to know that I will need it in order to achieve this effort.

Also, do you know if the same applies for the other OEAP models. I know they also have the 1810s and they are planning to get 1815s as the OEAPs are EoL.

Regards.

The ports and VLAN work the same on all OEAPs, the setup process is a bit different and easier with the new OEAPs.  I loved the 1810 except the docking station, they are pretty powerful APs and a POE port. The 1815 are smaller units with POE and do not require a docking station.   The 1815s require 8.5 or above code so you can not run the 600 APs and the 1815 on the same controller.

I hope this help

David

Thanks again David,

Where did you see that you need 8.5 and above for the 1815?

In this document it says that the 1815 works on 8.4 and later (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1815-series-access-points/datasheet-c78-738243.html)

Software

Cisco Unified Wireless Network Software with AireOS Wireless Controllers Release 8.4 or later
  Cisco Mobility Express (future availability)

Another question... I see (per this document: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/AIR_AP_1810_Wall_Plate_Deployment_Guide.html) that the 1810s supports Dynamic Vlan. It doesn't say much. Does this means that ISE can switch the vlan, but it will be the same vlan for all devices connected to that port? \

Thanks.

Sorry you are correct  the 1815 will work on 8.4 and above, However I would no recommend using 8.4 code.  8.4 code was on interm release code they are not longer adding features or patches for this version of code. 8.5 would be the recommend code. 

1815 has a few model numbers so you have to be careful when reading the release notes. Dynamic Vlans are not supported on the 1815 OEAP model.    I would check with TAC to verify this has not changed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card