cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

one SSID different VLANS

craig.huggins
Level 1
Level 1

is it possible to have one SSID which is mapped to different VLANS and how would i go about it because at the moment i have 2 SSIDS which are using the management interface because they are used at different sites and are using different VLANS but the same SSID so i cant create 2 separate interfaces with the same VLAN

13 Replies 13

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

A good feature to use here could be FlexConnect at your two sites with local switching enabled and the SSID mapped to different VLANs as per your requirements?

Alternatively you can also use aaa-override to assign the interface based on the user/device authentication at the site but that is a bit more complicated.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

this is what i am doing at the moment, however both WLANS are using the management interface, but i wanted to get them to use their own interfaces is this possible, or should i just leave them using management

Craig,

Is your response to Leo? If your requirement is for ONE WLAN to map to multiple VLANs then put the APs in FlexConnect mode and create 2 groups, one for each branch. Go into the FlexConnect group settings and map the WLAN (e.g. WLAN ID 1) to the different VLANs in each group. Your WLAN must be selected to do FlexConnect local switching for this to work and your APs connected to Trunk ports on the switch.

The drawback here is they will switch 'locally' at each site and not tunnel back to your WLC. If you wish to continue using central switching then you can create two WLANs with the same name (as long as they are higher than ID 16) and map each one to different interfaces on your WLC. You can then create two AP Groups, map the WLANs to each group and add your branch APs to each group as required.

Ric

what about if you want to map the same VLAN to multiple SSID's is this possible?

Hi Craig,

I think I need to understand exactly what your setup is right now. Although they are in FlexConnect mode, do they all centrally switch still i.e. do they go through the vWLC to get to your wired network? If so, the only way to get round that is to create a vWLC interface in a different VLAN and use AAA override to switch clients on to that interface as required.

If you are locally switching then to answer your last question yes you just create 2 SSIDS for example and under the WLAN-VLAN mappings in the Flex groups you assign both SSIDs to the same VLAN.

Ric

its locally switching, think i'm getting everything a little mixed up, as i'm using the Vwlc do i need to map the WLAN's to an interface and assign VLANS there or do i just do it all through the flex connect options.  However there is the flex connect groups and then the flex connect tab within the access points themselves.  Sorry i'm a junior network engineer and I've been landed with setting this up for clients. 

Let's say you have 2 sites, Branch A and Branch B and want to have a single SSID but mapped to different VLANs locally.

1) Create a FlexConnect Group called BranchA

2) Under the Flex group, go to the WLAN-VLAN mapping tab, add the WLAN(s) by ID, and indicate which VLAN you want it to map to e.g. 50.

3) Still in the FlexConnect group go to General and add the APs for that branch to the group. This will cause them to start switching on the VLAN you've indicated so prepare for an outage/disruption to clients.

4) Click Apply and leave the group. Repeat the steps for BranchB

5) Go back to each AP and ensure that within them under the FlexConnect tab they are set with VLAN Support ticked. As they have already been added to the group you should see that next to FlexConnect Group Name. Set a Native VLAN that matches your switch if you need/want to.

That is a fairly simple overview of the setup... I recommend testing and preparing an outage window if you do plan on doing this!

Ric

Thanks for your answer Ric.  Ive pretty much already done as you have stated, i have a flex connect group for each branch with WLAN-VLAN mapping already in place.  Under the flex connect tab for each ap do i need to add any VLAN mapping here or just ignore this?

Cool,

No the APs should inherit from the group so you only have to update it one place. You can confirm that by click the VLAN mappings under their individual FlexConnect tab and checking the WLAN has mapped to the right VLAN. If there were any mappings defined on the AP previously just check the "AP Specific" ones don't remain.

Ric

right, think i'm getting this thanks :) currently there is the mapping which are coming from the group and there is one AP specific one, i'm having a few issues with the WLAN which has the AP specific mapping, it keeps disconnecting when clients are connected to it.

Well unless there's a reason I'd be setting all the APs to only use group mappings!

Ric

sorry should of mentioned im using a virtual WLC so all of my aps are in fexconnect mode anyway 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can be done by using Interface Groups.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card