Views
Helpful
Replies

one ssid with two interface

lfgchinadc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm tasked to build our new building's wired and wireless network. We're given three subnets by HQ. Two subnets 10.10.8.0/24 and 10.10.9.0/24 for office network (we are not allowed to use 10.10.8.0/23).  And One subnet 10.10.10.0/24 for warehouse network. On the central layer 3 switch, I created vlan 8 for 10.10.8.0/24 and vlan 9 10.10.9.0/24 for and vlan 10 for 10.10.10.0/24. One the wlc 4402, I create three interface int8 for vlan id 8, int9 for vlan id 9 and int10 for vlan id 10. Then I created two wlan ssid, office and warehouse. I can associate wlan warehouse with interface int10, but I found no option to associate wlan office with two interface int8 and int9. I don't want to create wlan office1 and office2. What am I missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

This reads like some kind of exam question.

If you are trying to split your wireless users on Office ssid between vlan 8 and vlan 9, you actually have a couple of simple options:

AP Group vlans (vlan assignment based on which AP the client associates with).

Inteface Groups (7.0.116.0+ feature, where you group two vlans together, and map the SSID to the group instead of a single interface)

I can go into detail if you need......

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

This reads like some kind of exam question.

If you are trying to split your wireless users on Office ssid between vlan 8 and vlan 9, you actually have a couple of simple options:

AP Group vlans (vlan assignment based on which AP the client associates with).

Inteface Groups (7.0.116.0+ feature, where you group two vlans together, and map the SSID to the group instead of a single interface)

I can go into detail if you need......

lfgchinadc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The wlc is using software release 4.2, so that's why I can't find option of interface group.

Could you give me some hints of AP group vlans?

4.2 eh?

I think AP Group Vlans should work the same way.....

(doing this from memory, so work with me here)

Go to the WLANs tab in the GUI (where you created WLANs).

On the left side, should be something called "AP Group Vlans"

In that, you should have a "Default-Group" which you'll see has all your wlans and the interface the wlan itself is mapped to.

What you can do, is add a second group, and change which interface is mapped to the SSID.

Once you have a new group, you could pick half your APs and move it to this group (will reboot the AP).

Ultimately you'd end up with half your APs putting clients in Vlan 8, and half putting in vlan 9.

I would highly recommend you do a logic seperation (like east vs west, north vs south, floor 1 vs floor 2, etc...)

If the above makes no sense, read through a configuration guide for "ap group vlans", I'm sure its documented there (I hope).

lfgchinadc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just got the AP group vlan configuration example.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml

Thanks.

Hi Jimmy,

Here is a video on AP groups. Its the old "way" of doing AP groups. But its good for concept.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

What video? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card