cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdoor 1542 ap not joining controller

mrshabbs
Level 1
Level 1

We have 1 outdoor 1542 ap  that is failing to join a 5508 wlc. WLC code is 8.5.151.0 which is compatible with the ap.

Troubleshooting steps:

I have created an entry for the ap mac address for mac filtering for 'any' wlan.

I have changed the certificate expiry check on the wlc to enabled, to ignore and rule out any expired cert issues.

Attached is a log from the controller. This was taken prior to me adding the ap mac to the mac filtering list which suggests the ap is operating in mesh mode and was failing on the mac filter.

After adding the ap-mac to the mac filtering list the debu capwap error enable output now reports the below

(Cisco Controller) >*spamApTask7: Dec 07 15:28:01.555: 4c:a6:4d:82:57:80 ApModel: AIR-AP1542I-E-K9

*spamApTask7: Dec 07 16:08:59.893: 4c:a6:4d:82:57:80 ApModel: AIR-AP1542I-E-K9

I cant physically console to the ap due to it's mounting location so ap logs aren't available unfortunately.

The ap receives an dhcp ip in the correct range on bootup however the ap reboots after 1 monuite and the cycle is repeated.

I have other ap's (although different models) on this controller, configured in the same vlan, working as expected. 

Any suggestions please?

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this an existing ap that failed or a new ap?  You have other outdoor access points or1542's that are joined?  I will tell you that I have learned to always stage mesh ap's before mounting them.  There can be issues with the image or mode that requires connectivity and even access to console and mode button.  If you can get this up in a few day's, then i would look at taking this down and staging the ap.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, this is the only ap of this model type that we have in the environment, it is a new ap and has never joined a controller.

In terms of operating mode, the ap is hard wired back to the LAN and therefore operating as a RAP.

If I am to stage the ap, what parameters should i change from default that will allow the ap to join the controller? I don't see anything in the capwap debug provided that highlights why the ap is not joining the controller?

Thanks

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When I mention stage, its taking the ap, connecting it to a power supply to power up the ap and then also place it on the same subnet as the controller.  This way the ap joins like any other ap, and from there, you can do some configurations and also make sure its functioning and gets the updated code.  It's just risk to mount ap's not knowing if its bad, running in autonomous, mobility express, etc.  You see where I'm getting at here.  You can also look at the cdp neighbor details and see if the information provided shows anything out of the norm.

-Scott

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the subnet controller is too far away from the remote site for me to try that approach I think the next step is to access the ap via the console and see if the issue is result of the default config shipped with the device. Thanks again.

Check cdp neighbor details also. You have other aps at that site that are joined?
-Scott

I will check cdp and reply in the morning.

There are over 50 indoor ap's at the remote site on the same controller, all joined out the box. The only difference is the model.

Thank you.

I would take a look at cdp to see if you see anything in regards to the ap itself.

-Scott

Hi Scott

cdp neighbour output looked 'normal' when compared to a working ap in same subnet.

added the ap bvi mac address to mac filtering list on 'any' wlan.

Discovery response sent to and received from controller, seen in logs.

ap pings for 1 minute then reloads and repeats.

it isnt possible to telnet/ssh to the ap during the time it is on the network.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card