Views
Helpful
Replies

outdoor mesh 1552

wireless wlc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a reqmt to deploy an outdoor wireless mesh to extend connectivity from one location to another location which is 5 kms far away. In the paths, i have a reqmt to connect switches to the mesh AP's and connect IP cameras to them. Is it possible to extend the mesh network by having a series of RAP-MAP, RAP-MAP .... by connecting the 2nd RAP to the switch connected to the first MAP ? Will this solution work ?  In the below scenario, will RAP2 be made a "RAP" since it has a wired connection to the switch1 (even though the connectivity to controller is going through switch1-MAP) ? whew ! that was hard to explain !

Controller ------RAP1------MAP1  RAP2---------MAP2

|           |                  |

Switch1----|               Switch2

|                               |

Camera                     Camera

regards

Joe

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

a RAP is technically a MESH AP that can reach the WLC across it's wired interface.

For what you are looking at, you don't need RAP2, you just need to do bridging to the MAP that will have switches, so you can have multiple VLANs at the remote sites.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5.2/configuration/guide/c52mesh.html#wp1542630

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

hi Stephen,

Yes i can the bridging, but my reqmt is to put a switch at every MAP on the path and i dont have any other "wiring" available for the next RAP. So i am thinking i can use the switch connected to the MAP to be used as the "wired" interfface for the next RAP ? and then extend it in similar way till the end of 5kms ?

regards

Joe

Hello,

As Stephen mentioned, a RAP is a mesh AP that is associated to the WLC similar to a local mode AP. What you can do in you scenario is use MAPs which are 2-3 hops from the RAP and have ethernet bridging on for the MAPs for the IP cameras.

WLC --RAP1 -- MAP1 -- MAP2

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card