Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Overlapping Channels

Hi,

I have 5 cisco 1200 APs each about 1 mile apart at each tower. Clients have Yagi's on homes pointing to the closest tower having disconnect issues.

I have heard that we should not have any AP's within coverage area using overlapping channels. That we should use channels 1, 6, and 11.

The question I have is what can I do about other AP's out there not owned by me using same channels ?

Will I start conflicting with other AP's near me that are on the same channel ?

Thanks,

Armand

2 Replies 2

mvario
Level 1
Level 1

You shouldn't use channels overlapping channels, but it probably isn't an issue if the clients can only "see" one access point, and if they are far enough apart that they don't cause radio interference for each other.

802.11b uses the 2.4GHz ISM band. It's unlicensed so there is not a lot you can do in a legal sense to get around interference. You can try to use a little diplomacy with other folks using wireless in the same area, but the FCC says you pretty much have to live with it.

You will most certainly have interference form other AP's in the area but you can eliminate problems homing to the correct AP by assuring a non-standard SSID is configured on all bridges/clients.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card