cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Policies in WLC and Local Password Policy in WCS question

jvandelogt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question about the "Password Policy" in the WLC's and the "Local Password Policy" in WCS. Is it only valid for the local management users and AP's or should it also be valid for the Local Net Users/Guest Users (hence the word local)?

If the Password Policies are enabled, I can create Local Net Users with username "test" and password "test". The password policy doesn't kickin, so it looks like the policy is only valid for the local management user?

The documentation doesn't mention were the "Password Policies" are applied to. Do you have experience with this?

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well when I have tested it, it was only for management.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your answer, but I also tested it and did see the same results you did. But is this "as designed" or should the password policy also be applied to the local net users? It is not clear for me when I read the documentation.

When I configure the Password Policies directly in the controller, it states: "Password Policies - Local Management User and AP".

best regards, john

That's how it's been since that feature was introduced. I will have to look at it again, but I think there is a minimum password length.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue with our WLC 2504, I configured the password policy but the system do not apply it to the  (Local Net Users) I can create local net users with username test and password 123 or test

We are running version 7.6 and need to give access to our helpdesk in order to create guest access users for webauth portal, but for instance I cannot give them the lobby access because we cannot manage to apply this password policy

Could someone help me on that ?

Thanks

Tarunkumar Vyas
Level 1
Level 1

I have checked in my wlc, Policy is working fine as per detail given below.

Foot Notes
1 Password must contain characters from at least three of the classes : upper case letters , lower case letters, digits, and special characters.

2 Password cannot be "cisco", "ocsic", "admin", "nimda" or any variant obtained by changing the capitalization of letters, or by substituting "1" "|" or "!" for i, or substituting "0" for "o", or substituting "$" for "s".

Please check with IOS upgrade.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card