cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE Compatibility

Jim Blake
Level 1
Level 1

Have any of you out there successfully run a Fortinet AP (Specifically a FAP-221B-E) on a Cisco PoE switch?

Or will I damage the switch, the AP or both by trying?

Thanks

Jim

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

So long as both devices adhere to the IEEE 802.3af standard (from the datasheet, the AP does), then they will both work. 

What model of cisco poe switch are you using?

cheers,

Seb.

Sorry for the slow rersponse....its a 3560CG, a little 8-port switch

Thanks

Jim

Hi there,

That model of switch supports 802.3at which supersedes 802.3af . Regarding you concern about the pinouts, both af and at support Cat5 cable in both mode A and mode B pinouts so there is no risk of anything exploding.

cheers,

Seb.

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
This should work. You might need to enable LLDP on the switchport, or manually configure the power level "power inline .." on the switchport.

The commands I'm OK with....got LLDP and all manner of stuff already on the switch, which is getting RADIUS from an ISE....I was just concerned about the pinouts of the switch and the AP, and while I have Cisco pinouts, I can't find any for the AP. Its a proof of concept setup, with a borrowed Fortinet AP and I'd like to avoid blowing it up :)

As long as the AP follows an official PoE standard (802.3af or 802.3at) it should work.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: