cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with configure ports and interfaces on WLC 2504

olddanmer
Level 1
Level 1

I have WLC 2504 controller and six access points AIR-LAP1042N. I reading Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller Deployment Guide http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11630/products_tech_note09186a0080b8450c.shtml and trying to set up along the lines. There written:

It is also possible to have multiple AP-managers in a different subnet than the management interface. However, in this case, it is recommended that you disable the AP-manager from the management interface and create another AP-manager interface on different physical ports in a different subnet than the management interface. All multiple AP-managers in this scenario should be in the same subnet.

<CISCO2504> >show interface summary

Interface Name       Port Vlan Id IP Address     Type   Ap Mgr Guest

--------------------- ---- -------- -------------- ------- ------ -----

apmgr2               2   11       10.10.11.12   Dynamic Yes   No

apmgr3               3   11       10.10.11.13   Dynamic Yes   No

apmgr4               4   11       10.10.11.14  Dynamic Yes   No

management           1   10       10.10.10.10   Static No     No

virtual               N/A N/A     1.1.1.1       Static No     No

<CISCO2504> >

I maping management interface on physical port 1 and disabled ap-manager on it. Set up 192.168.7.0 subnet with non tagged vlan. This iface/port I want to use only for access to WLC web-interface. Then I create dynamic interface ‘dynamic1’, map him on port 2, enable ap-manager on him, and set up 192.168.110.0 subnet with vlan 10. Then I tryed map wlan1 to this iface, but I can’t because in the choice was only management iface to map wlan1. Tell me, please, what I’m doing wrong?

And also one question. There is three dynamic interfaces on same subnet and vlan, in example above. But when I try to add dynamic iface with the same vlan/subnet as an existing dynamic interface, I get an error, and can’t adding. It’s also curiously.

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

An interface that is configured to be an AP manager can not be used for clients.

While you can split the management and AP manager, I've never seen a reason that would make me want to. My .02

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

There is an example, at the link I gave above, in which ap-manager enabled on four interfaces, which are assigned to four different ports. There are no other interfaces. You want to say that in this case it is impossible to assign WLAN to any of them?

Perhaps the use of two physical ports not needed for me. I want to make the management of the WLC was from subnet 192.168.7.0. And it does take place if the management iface is in this subnet. Also I want to access points and clients have been in the subnet 192.168.110.0 and vlan 10. To do this, I create a second interface, but I can’t to map WLAN1 to him.

May be I need to create two dynamic ifaces, both in the subnet 192.168.110.0 and vlan 10. But first with enabled ap-manager, second with disabled and map WLAN1 to him?

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

did you use  the unused physical port to map those 3 dynamic interfaces.

display the error message.

whats the code on wlc.

Later I can see it, and then tell you.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yuri,

Like Steve mentioned, you don't need to split them apart... There is no reason and no benefit at all. Normal practice is to keep the ap-manager interface with the management interface. You should try that configuration first and then when you get that working, then play around with different configurations if you wish to. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card