cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problem with mobility group status

bouchal-38
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have 2 WLC, when i look in the mobility group , in both of them i get the status of the other which is: "Control Path Down". How ever, they can communicate on the 2 necessary port (16666 and 97).

I did not topuch anything in the menu "Mobility Anchor".

Is there a solution?

Tx,

B

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you say they can communicate over both those ports, were you able to mping or eping?

Mobility ping over UDP—This test runs over mobility UDP port 16666 and tests whether the mobility control packet can be reached over the management interface.

mping mobility_peer_IP_address
Mobility ping over EoIP—This test runs over EoIP - IP port 97 and tests the mobility data traffic over the management interface.

eping mobility_peer_IP_address
Note: Only one mobility ping test per controller can be run at a given time.

If you were able to, then maybe the mobility group were configured wrong. I would delete the entry of the other WLC in the mobility group and add it back in. Make sure you use the top entry (Mac address and IP address) and copy that and paste that into the other WLC. Then see if the mobility show up. If not, post your show mobility group summary.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello,

from one of the WLC, when i do "eping IP_WLC2" it does not answer, however, it is responding to the mping.

SO i remove each of them from the mobility group, then i re-add it back, same thing...

When i add the 2 WLC i can see some traffic on my FW: etherip wich is authorized, this is it...

The status is still "Control Path Down"

Any other suggestion?

Well something is blocking IP 97. I would open everything from each WLC and see if you can get the control path up.

-Scott

But i don't understanda, you told me:

---> mping mobility_peer_IP_address

Mobility ping over EoIP—This test runs over EoIP - IP port 97 and tests the mobility data traffic over the management interface.

So the mping is thru the EtherIP, i can see traffic on my FW, and the other WLC is responding correctly to the mping.

ALso, on the port 16666 i have traffic.

Nothing is blocked between those 2 WLC, i have a rule Any to Any service in the FW...

Only eping does not work. I have riverbed on the way, can it be the cause of my pb?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is how the document is formatted. The commands are below the description.

Mobility ping over UDP—This test runs over mobility UDP port 16666 and tests whether the mobility control packet can be reached over the management interface.

mping mobility_peer_IP_address

eping mobility_peer_IP_address

-Scott

ok, so allow me 1 more question, my WLC shows "the Control path" wich is down, so if i understand, the mping is used to test this CONTROL. however the mping is working... 

in my case the alarm should be "Data PAth Down" isn't it?

Alexis

Yes you are correct... I should of pasted this earlier. When I have issues with mobility, it might be best to remove the other wlc from the mobility group and reboot, then add it back. Also, I have seen issues when using the GUI portion where you add. I typically will add it from the edit all screen.

The Control Path field shows whether mpings have passed (up) or failed (down), and the Data Path field shows whether epings have passed (up) or failed (down). If the Data or Control Path field shows "down," the mobility anchor cannot be reached and is considered failed.

-Scott

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following steps-

Wireless LAN Controllers (WLCs) software release 4.0 and later enables you to test the mobility communication environment with mobility ping tests. These tests can be used in order to validate connectivity between members of a Mobility Group, which includes guest WLCs. Two ping tests are available:

• Mobility ping over UDP—This test runs over mobility UDP port 16666. It tests whether the mobility control packet can be reached over the management interface.
  • Mobility ping over EoIP—This test runs over EoIP. It tests the mobility data traffic over the management interface.

Make sure that the WLCs are configured in the same Mobility Group and ensure that you can ping the WLCs with the mobility pings. Refer to the Running Mobility Ping Tests section of Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, Release 7.0 for more information.

Hope this will help you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card